Boots

/ Boots #1  

DaRube

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500HSD
Went and looked today at a pair of 8" Redwings with Steel Toe, Goretex, Thinsulate and Waterproofed Leather. They are some beautiful looking boots, but there was $230 worth of sticker shock for a guy who has never paid more than $100 for a pair of shoes.

I am looking for a good pair of all around workboots. The Steel Toe is for when I use my new chainsaw, the waterproofing for doing work on the creek and the pond. And the insulation....for year round use.

So, are Redwings the class of the industry, or are there other brands I should be checking out?

/ Boots #2  
Ive been wearing them for years. I like them. Up here sticker price was $260 four /five years ago but fortunetly my employer paid for all but $60. of that.

Egon

/ Boots #3  
I think we ran this one 'round the table last May in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=rural&Number=44715&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post44715>this thread</A>.

I'm not sure how fast things change in the world of boots, but the info there should still be useful.
wink.gif

/ Boots #4  
I have really wide feet (EEEE) and Red Wing is one of few manufacturers that bother with us web-footed wonders. I've had many pair over the years as well as other brands which I'll occasionally try in their own "wide" width. The Red Wings always fit the best and are first rate in quality. I wouldn't bat an eye, though I might ask for a discount or something.

BTW, same applies to New Balance shoes /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Boots #5  
I have had really good luck with DANNER RAINFOREST . I am on my third pair , I too have wide "block feet" my wife calls them. The boots are kind of spendy also at 200$ but they definitely last longer than a top of the line sears brand.

/ Boots #6  
DaRube, at work, all the guys (including myself) wear Rockies.......steel toes, Gortex, and thinsulate: Keeps feet dry and warm in winter VERY comfortable! Around $100.Wide sizes, and they are camo in color. In summer, i wear Wesco's............black leather, superior stitching, steel toes titanium soles, very tough, once broke in, very comfortable, wide sizes, around $250.......................mark

/ Boots #7  
buy redwings, pay the money, get the oil, and buy some of their socks while your at it. i am sold don't buy any others. the socks fixed my stinky feet and i havent bought another boot in 4 years. by the way the first pair got a little bent when i kicked a log and they replaced them for free. free laces and free stiching for life. i bought 100 dollar boots every 6 months till i went redwing. did i say enough yet. e-mail and i will tell you more.

/ Boots #8  
The best boots made are White's handmade boots. Just about all of us foresters, wildland firefighters and most loggers I know wear them. They do have the best fit and last the longest, BUT if you don't like Redwing prices, you'll REALLY be shocked at White's prices. Still, I won't buy anything else for my work.

/ Boots #9  
Redwings are all I buy.Used to go thru the cheapies every 6 months and they did not feel that good "to boot".
Mutt

/ Boots #10  
go with the redwings you won't be sorry

to all redwing owners? what type of oils do you use and how often should I be applying it.

Mine seem to dry pretty quickly so I have been redressing them every few days of use with saddlemans boot oil(I'm not impressed with this brand of oil).