Turkey Vulture Chicks

/ Turkey Vulture Chicks #1  

Luremaker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18
I was in the old barn at the end of my property last night and found a nesting Turkey Vulture with 2 chicks. The mother kept a close eye on us but was not afraid at all. I could go right up to the chicks. Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• turkeyvulturechicks-tn.jpg
    turkeyvulturechicks-tn.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 457
  • turkeyvulture-mom-tn.jpg
    turkeyvulture-mom-tn.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 342
   / Turkey Vulture Chicks #2  
neat pictures- it is amazing how something as cute as the chicks can grow into something so ugly!

/ Turkey Vulture Chicks #3  
It's nice to see someone who can appreciate a Vulture. I keep the Turkey Vultures around here well fed with Groundhog, Opossum, Racoon etc... I wish they would build in my barn.

/ Turkey Vulture Chicks #4  
I didn't say they didn't serve a good purpose- just that they are one ugly bird!

/ Turkey Vulture Chicks #5  
We have a lot of vultures here but they are mostly Black Vultures not turkey vultures. The Black Vultures are not nearly so ugly. They do a terrific job of keeping our pastures and roadways clean. In the air they are very graceful and have perfected the art of gliding.

Attachments

• VULTURE3.JPG
    VULTURE3.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 178
   / Turkey Vulture Chicks #6  
Luremaker said:
I was in the old barn at the end of my property last night and found a nesting Turkey Vulture with 2 chicks. The mother kept a close eye on us but was not afraid at all. I could go right up to the chicks. Here are a couple of pictures.
A few years ago, I went in my old barn and heard a hissing sound. Thought I had a hog-nose snake. I went back the next day, heard the sound and discovered two white snowball chicks. Did some research and found that the major form of defense for the chicks is "projectile vomiting." So I kept my distance. They have returned every year. Since the barn is pretty much falling down and not used, I don't mind.
I'm getting ready to start some restoration (it is a block barn, in need of a new roof and lean-to) but will wait until the chicks are gone.