tick repellant

/ tick repellant #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
Was talking w/ some surveyors the other day and asked what they used to keep the ticks off. They said they use a spray called Coastal Durona and according to them it works very well. Its for use on clothes only (not the skin). The drill is to hose down your clothes (pants esp) w/ the stuff and let it dry overnight. An application is supposed to last several washes before needing to be reapplied. Anyway, I looked all over for it but no-go. Im sure I must have the name wrong. Has anyone heard of this or similar name? Even so Id be interested in hearing about other products that work well. My preference is to no apply anything to my skin as most repellants leave me feeling really sick esp DEET.

/ tick repellant #2  
Jim, dollars to doughnuts its permethrin. It works wonders and can be used on your dogs as well, as long as they are not in close contact to cats. The horse and cattle guys all use it.

I get the 10% Durvet product and mix it down to 0.5%, wet clothes and let it dry, use it as a wipe for the Lab every now and then when he's going to be out with me. Seems to last about a month in my jeans before re-spray.

Vet says no-go if cats are rubbing all over your clothes or the dogs.

/ tick repellant #3  
So, it repels ticks and cats. Some non-cat lovers might like that.

/ tick repellant
KaiB: Thanx very much for your help! Is the name of the product durvet? I did a quick search and gets a load of hits but nothing that looks like what youre describing. Im hot to get some of this stuff b/c I cant even walk to the barn w/o picking up a boat load of blood suckers.

/ tick repellant #5  
Durvet is a manufacturer. They make many topical products for the veterinary field. Some are organophosphates, which are a whole different animal than permetherin, and are not appropriate for topical use on human clothing (warning, gross generalization statement.)

On CountrybyNet, Patrick has written treatises on the use of permetherins for treating clothing. A search on TBN or CBN should give good results.

/ tick repellant
Thanx...did a search over here and found what I needed.

/ tick repellant #7  
Get yourself 1/2 dozen of guinea"s . They are free ranging birds and love to eat ticks. Very easy to raise and great watch dogs ?? or should I say birds ?? LOL I have 10...They are loads of fun and you don't have to spray all of that nasty stuff on yourself !

/ tick repellant #8  
The problem with guineas is they don't wonder more than a few 10's of yards from wherever they roost.

/ tick repellant #9  
MicroPilot said:
The problem with guineas is they don't wonder more than a few 10's of yards from wherever they roost.
They work all of my 22 acres and some of the neighbors :p

/ tick repellant #10  
I had to do some fencing thru thick woods last month.. my helper and I used deep woods off.. sprayed around our boots and tucked our pants in.. worked great. On my dogs i use 'killtix' or something similar.

Speaking of ticks.. I havn't really seen any on my dogs/horses/cow in a few years.. however My moms dog ( lives in wooded area ) just took her dog to the vet cause it was having trouble walking.. was tick paraylisis (spelling? ).. I had heard of that. but wasn't sure if it was a wivestail or not.. guess not! Dog had 3 ticks on it around the neck and head area.... guess it don't take long huh?

Soundguy

jimg said:
Was talking w/ some surveyors the other day and asked what they used to keep the ticks off. They said they use a spray called Coastal Durona and according to them it works very well. Its for use on clothes only (not the skin). The drill is to hose down your clothes (pants esp) w/ the stuff and let it dry overnight. An application is supposed to last several washes before needing to be reapplied. Anyway, I looked all over for it but no-go. Im sure I must have the name wrong. Has anyone heard of this or similar name? Even so Id be interested in hearing about other products that work well. My preference is to no apply anything to my skin as most repellants leave me feeling really sick esp DEET.