Getting rid of birds in barn

/ Getting rid of birds in barn #1  

koziol41

What's the best way to keep birds out of my horse barn?They have built :mad: a nest up in rafters and they are making mess of the place (if you know what i mean) I have a plastic owl hanging in the barn but still get the birds any help would be great.

/ Getting rid of birds in barn #3  
Rat snake, hawk, opossum, pellet gun....there are more I'm sure...good luck.

/ Getting rid of birds in barn #4  
Well personally I would keep the birds you might be surprised how many insects and other things they are keeping out of the barn. Flies mesquitoes ect. A little pressure washer ever so often takes care of the mess.

/ Getting rid of birds in barn #5  
Well, it is a horse barn. Horses poop...birds poop? Is it something that bothers you about the bird ****?

/ Getting rid of birds in barn #6  
For the birds,

I talked with the NYS DEC bird control expert about eliminating birds from our factory, here's the result.

1, Bird repellers both electonic and passive decoys only work for a week or so before the birds ignore them.

2, There are wire spines & sticky caulk that you can put on the beams to keep them from landing but some birds can build a nest right over them.

3, If the rafters can be reached by a long pole you can just knock the nest off every day & they will eventually go elsewhere. The birds nest in the barn for protection, deny that to them & they will leave.

4, If you have barn swallows hang a cloth just below the nest to catch the droppings & enjoy the free fly catching service.

Nature is 24/7 & I'm not so she wins every time.

/ Getting rid of birds in barn #7  
koziol41 said:
What's the best way to keep birds out of my horse barn?They have built :mad: a nest up in rafters and they are making mess of the place (if you know what i mean) I have a plastic owl hanging in the barn but still get the birds any help would be great.

I have got a flock of barn swallows. At least seven nests. So when they are hatching I know what you mean about the mess. But a few sheets of newspaper under them = no problem.

I have a light fly situation. No more so than the average house. I know they do the job and so I welcome their return every year.

But I take it yours are not swallows?

-Mike Z.

/ Getting rid of birds in barn #8  
Birds in barns are definitely a hassle. You should consider netting the area off in order for the birds to relocate. However, if that does not work, consider using an outdoor sound deterrent, such as the Bird Chase Super Sonic from Absolute Bird Control. This product emits distress calls, will frighten the pests away, and can be programmed specifically for your problem bird. It is also weatherproof and covers up to one acre. For other options and information you can visit Absolute Bird Control - Professional Grade Residential Bird Control Solutions. Hope this helps!

/ Getting rid of birds in barn #10  
Close the doors?:laughing:

Haw!

My barn is close to 100 years old, the windows are all gone and are on the project list.

With the blizzards of this past winter, I actually put some nice plastic sheets up on some of the windows.

Amazing how the birds adapt to what is open or closed...... better than me. :)