School me on Composting.

/ School me on Composting. #1  

Jaybr

Silver Member
Tractor
TBD
I've heard about making compost for gardens, etc. What's the process? What all works well for compost?

I've got a healthy supply of wood chips (from the jinma chipper), dirt (mostly clay) and dog poop (from 25 foxhounds)

Can I make decent compost with these materials?

Looking for something usefull to do with the stuff rather than just pile it up.

/ School me on Composting. #2  
Composting is pretty easy to accomplish once you have started. I am not too sure if you want to use the wood chips as it will take a long time for themto decompose. I would also stay away from the dog poop!

Take a look at this link and it might give you some starting information.

How to Make Compost, a Composting Guide

/ School me on Composting. #3  
You have a compost pile already. Just turn over the pile every once in awhile and make sure you have some dirt mixed in to speed up the process.:D

/ School me on Composting. #4  
What will you do with the compost?
The dog poop can carry pathogens that are harmful to humans even after composting. Therefore you shouldn't use it on a vegetable patch.
The wood can take a lot of nitrogen out of the compost and soil so that makes it lesser quality.

/ School me on Composting. #6  
I've heard guys on this board mention alot of different compostable items that use up nitrogen, but I haven't heard anything yet that adds nitrogen. What do you add to your compost pile to add back in the nitrogent that the wood chips, green grass clippings, and everything else are taking away?

/ School me on Composting. #7  
my compost pile is chicken manure from my layers, hay that i use in their nest boxes, food scraps (not meat), ashes from the wood stove, and dirt. i also throw garden excess and waste in.
so add some horse or chicken manure to your compost.

/ School me on Composting.
So why is chicken poo ok, but dog poo not?

I wouldn't use it on my vegetables, but maybe the lawn and shrubs.

/ School me on Composting. #9  
Jaybr said:
So why is chicken poo ok, but dog poo not?

I wouldn't use it on my vegetables, but maybe the lawn and shrubs.

Manure from carnivores contain harmful pathogens and takes a long time to break down. Cat feces are especially dangerous for pregnant women and children. They can carry either a bacteria called toxiplasma gondii or a roundworm called tocara catiboth of which can cause brain injury or eye diseases. Dog feces can carry parasites that affect humans.

IMPORTANT: Do not use cat, dog, pig or human feces (manure) in composts or gardens it can spread disease and parasites into the garden, and eventually you or your family members. Use of human and pig manure or feces is used in commercial agriculture, but has usually been processed prior to application to kill parasites and diseases (how effectively, we are not sure and would not use it). Never use fresh manure (hot), since it contains soluble nitrogen compounds and ammonia that can burn plants and interfere with seed germination. Manure that is well composted or has aged for at least six months is best - a year or more is even better but hard to find. When added to the compost pile, manure will speed the composting process.

In short do not put materials from carnivores in your compost pile!

Just a little more info on good sources of compost material:

Dairy Cow Manure: Dairy manure is the preferred manure for most gardeners. It is not as hot as other manures and more forgiving if accidentally applied when too fresh. It is preferred over horse and steer manure but may be harder to acquire. Though cow manure has lower nutrient levels than other manures, it is this that makes it safer to use in larger quantities. It should be aged like other manures.

Horse Manure: Horse manure is about half as rich as chicken manure, but richer in nitrogen than cow manure. It is considered a "hot" manure. Horse manure often contains a lot of weed seeds, it is best to compost this manure before use, or add to the garden in the fall.

Chicken Manure: Chicken manure is the richest animal manure. Chicken manure is considered "hot", it is best to compost this manure before use. Otherwise, it will burn any plants it comes in contact with.

Sheep & Goat Manure: Sheep or goat manure is another "hot" manure. It is somewhat dry and very rich. Manure from sheep and goats fed hay and grain will be more potent than manure from animals that live on pasture. It is best to compost this manure before use or add to the garden in the fall.

Rabbit Manure: Rabbit manure is even higher in nitrogen than some poultry manures and it also contains a large amount of phosphorus--important for flower and fruit formation.

Seaweed: (many gardeners refer to Seaweed as a manure) With beach access available, this is a fairly easy manure to obtain at no cost. Seaweed is an excellent source of calcium and potash. Prior to using seaweed though, wash it thoroughly to remove the salt. Dig it directly into the soil or compost it.

Manure Tea:
Manure tea can be used for periodic feedings as a fertilizer or very diluted and used every time you water. Do not allow undiluted manure tea to come into direct contact with foliage. To make manure tea, simply place a shovel or two of manure in a large container (5 gallon bucket) filled with water, and after a week or so, strain out the manure. To make the straining process a little easier, you can tie the manure in a burlap bag before placing it in the water (like a giant tea bag).

Green Manure:
Green manure is a crop that is grown then plowed into the soil or otherwise left to decompose for the purpose of soil improvement. These crops return more nutrients to the soil than they use to grow. Examples of cover crops used for green manure include soybeans, clover, rye, and others. Green manure does not mean raw manure.

Sorry Guys, just got carried away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ School me on Composting. #10  
WayneB said:

...Sorry Guys, just got carried away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem, I found it interesting.

I used to work for a landscaper who was building raised bed gardens for people using composted sewerage sludge. MAYBE it was safe, but the thought curdles my stomach.

I know people around here with huge mounds of horse manure, several years old; I've been talking to them about piling and composting it.
(Gotta be something wrong with someone who finds talk about S***, "interesting."