Default Positive ground generator/welder

I just bought an old "AIRCO" engine driven welder generator. It is old enough that it has a "positive ground" battery starter/ignition. Two cylinder ONAN gas engine. 350 amps DC welder, 110 volt - 220 volt AC generator, 110 volt DC generator (45.5 AMPs at 110 volts, 10 KW nameplate rating).

I bought it primarly to run my well during power outages.

I did not realize that the ignition/starter circuit was positive ground and of course, it may make no difference at all.

I do realize the the 220 (240) volt circuit does not use "ground" as part of the circuit

My concern is - if I ground the generator frame to earth (mechanical ground) as my neighbor has with his generator, will there be any adverse results?

Thanks,

Rose is Rose

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000DT

Default Re: Positive ground generator/welder

I think you will be all right grounding the chassis. After all, what you are protecting against is case where the generator voltage (which is a/c) gets on the chassis, which would create a voltage potential to earth ground. The positive ground of the starting circuit is not factor at that point.
    Meetings: If more than two people are there, at least one's time is being wasted.

Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

Default Re: Positive ground generator/welder

No problem grounding the chassis. These are two different circuits, the DC engine system and the AC generator/welder circuit. A/C (alternating current) does not have a - or +, only hots and neutral/ground.