Oak Trees dying

/ Oak Trees dying #1  

anthonyk

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3647
I've lost about 10 huge oaks in the past year.
They're not even near each other so I can't believe it's something moving from tree to tree.
What's odd is that these were all strong, healthy looking trees and they went from green to brown and dead looking in less than a week.
It was like a light switch had been turned off. Green leaves one day, brown the next.
I've examined them for any signs of insect infestation but can't seem to see anything unusual. No borers, termites, anything.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

anthony

/ Oak Trees dying #2  
I hate to hear that, since trees take so long to mature..

You may want to see if the county extension agent (or similar in your area) can give you some help if no one on here cant..

good luck

Brian

/ Oak Trees dying #3  
anthonyk said:
I've lost about 10 huge oaks in the past year.
They're not even near each other so I can't believe it's something moving from tree to tree.
What's odd is that these were all strong, healthy looking trees and they went from green to brown and dead looking in less than a week.
It was like a light switch had been turned off. Green leaves one day, brown the next.
I've examined them for any signs of insect infestation but can't seem to see anything unusual. No borers, termites, anything.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

anthony

Perhaps sudden oak death? Its time to talk to someone.

http://nature.berkeley.edu/comtf/

HTH,
John

/ Oak Trees dying #4  
What kind of oak? Something (and I just don't recall what it was) went through our area 15 or so years ago causing great devastation to mature Red Oaks....but only Red Oaks. Whatever it was, it weakened their immune system and eventually ants got them...so they continued to look pretty good from a distance, right up until they fell from being opened up inside by ants. A friend had 11 acres of very mature woods, probably 1/3 Red Oaks, and it was just devastated. They caused a lot of damage to other trees on their way down.

/ Oak Trees dying #5  
Years from now, our grandkids will tell their grandkids, "In the old days, they had trees called oaks, chestnut, elm, ash, etc. All gone now though. Isn't the kudzu nice at this time of year?"

John

/ Oak Trees dying
I'm not sure what type of oak it is.
I'll try to take a picture and post it.
It's pouring out here (again) right now though, so the pics may not be so clear.
As for the extension agent, I've called twice and left messages. I'll keep trying though.

thanks, and if anyone else has any other tips or can identify the tree when I post it, please let me know.

anthony

/ Oak Trees dying #7  
Most likely sudden oak death. Sorry for the losses.

We bought a 10 acre parcel 5 years ago and have planted about 300 shade trees. Almost all of them saplings. The saplings have a pretty significant mortality rate, but it surprises and disturbs us that we continue to loose some of them even after they seem to be healthy and secure. Mostly due to gophers.

On top of losing our saplings from time to time, we lost 18 pine trees to pine bark beetles.

We know of the sadness and disappointment. I do not think anyone has been successful treating sudden oak death. But there is plenty of material on the topic in case you'd like to do some research.

Your Extension Service will also be able to go over the details.

/ Oak Trees dying #8  
ATK,

Hate to say it but you've probably got oak wilt.
Have you been buying and storing firewood around the trees?
Have you had a tree service doing any work on them recently?

Oak wilt has killed thousands of acres of live oaks and red oaks here in Central Texas. It is expensive to treat for it; you're better off planting resistant oaks (in the white oak family), than treating your current trees.

If you do have oak wilt, watch out for the "fly by night" tree services that pop up. They like to prey on homeowners that will pay anything to save their trees.

Best of Luck,
KB

/ Oak Trees dying
okay, here's 3 shots (ignore the live vine- that's the only green thing on the tree:(

Attachments

• Dying oak 003.jpg
    Dying oak 003.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Dying oak 002.jpg
    Dying oak 002.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 363
  • Dying oak 001.jpg
    Dying oak 001.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 431
   / Oak Trees dying #10  
Anthony,

I agree with KB...It's most likely Oak Wilt. I've heard that it was over this way. My brother in the San Antonio area lost about a dozen on his place. It could also be root rot with all the rain we've been getting but I think that's stretching it a bit.

Mike