Japanese beetles...ATTACK!

/ Japanese beetles...ATTACK! #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
well we have a war going on at my place....

the first wave of attack and the casualties

http://www.snjschmidt.com/07-05-07/DSC02919.JPG
those are to my best knoledge cheery trees. But for the past? (at least 2 years) they have been decimated by the beetles. The reason they look red is all the green folage has been eatin away.

They started on the peach tree, but as i had no peaches this year (due to the april freeze) they quickly took ground and moved on to the cherry...

In true blitzkrieg style, they have moved on to the garden :mad: (i will NOT have my green beans eaten down to stubs!)

When i noticed them on the cherry, we decided something must be done to slow down/hault the attack... . (ever stood under a cherry tree with THOUSANDS of jap beetles on it? it sounds like rain in the trees because you can hear all the munching!)

my wepon of war!

http://www.snjschmidt.com/07-05-07/DSC02920.JPG

I sprayed a total of 4 gal yesterday...I sprayed one 3 gallon tank over the cherry, peach and misc other garden plants. I put the last gallon on just the main garden which should be the 3 oz per gal for 1000 sq ft.

I sprayed about noon, but we got almost a half inch of rain later around 7....

how is that going to affect the effectiveness of my spray? :confused:

/ Japanese beetles...ATTACK! #2  
If it had a chance to dry on the leaves, you are in good shape. If it was humid and never dried, it MAY have gotten washed off in the rain. In a few days you should be able to tell its effectiveness.

/ Japanese beetles...ATTACK!
no it was hot and sunny yesterday.. it defintly dryed

/ Japanese beetles...ATTACK! #4  
I used Bifen IT last Saturday on many of our ornamentals, including the weeping cherries, which were literally covered with JBs. Next day, all gone except the pile of dead ones in the mulch around the trees. Fairly long residual too.

/ Japanese beetles...ATTACK! #5  
I hate those dang beetles. My wife laughs at me as I run around the yard with a spray bottle of Sevin attacking the invaders. Rose bushes are the first thing they go for here then they move on to the rest of my stuff. Good luck.

MarkV