Air quick connect/disconnect for propane?

/ Air quick connect/disconnect for propane? #1  

stumpfield

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 MT265B
Any problem using air hose and quick connect/disconnect for propane? I plan to use it for connecting a portable grill. I know they made one specifically for propane used in RVs but cost over 10x as much. What's the real difference? Air hose and fittings are cheap and available everywhere.

/ Air quick connect/disconnect for propane? #2  
stumpfield said:
Any problem using air hose and quick connect/disconnect for propane? I plan to use it for connecting a portable grill. I know they made one specifically for propane used in RVs but cost over 10x as much. What's the real difference? Air hose and fittings are cheap and available everywhere.

I would guess the difference would be if you happened to have an insurance claim and the insurance company found out you were using it you would be paying for the damage.

Leaking air means a little hiss and a loss of air, leaking propane near a lit grill...I wouldn't risk it, even if the fitting is $100, that's a lot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room...

/ Air quick connect/disconnect for propane? #3  
It's funny you should ask that question. I was thinking the same thing.
I don't think I'd use air hose for propane, since a leak or rupture would be much more dangerous than an air leak.
My concern would be the freezing cold would make them brittle? But I don't know.

I was wondering if the fittings themselves would work?
Anybody know?

/ Air quick connect/disconnect for propane?
3RRL said:
It's funny you should ask that question. I was thinking the same thing.
I don't think I'd use air hose for propane, since a leak or rupture would be much more dangerous than an air leak.
My concern would be the freezing cold would make them brittle? But I don't know.

I was wondering if the fittings themselves would work?
Anybody know?

Rob,

Good point about the temperature tolerance of the hose. I'll stick to hoses rated for propane. However, the brass fittings are made of the same material and same design. If either leaks, the risk is the same...

Tom

/ Air quick connect/disconnect for propane? #5  
Afternoon Stumpfield,
Real good to hear you on again !

I have an older Ducane grill that I have those fittings on the tank and have used them for many years with no problem. Fast foward to today ! The only place that will fill those tanks is the place I bought the grill from period ! New regulations prevent filling stations from using those fittings. My two boys bought me a new stainless Charmglow grill for fathers day and the new grill tank has the fast thread fitting instead ! Honestly I really enjoyed the snap on fitting but as you know all good things dont last forever !

/ Air quick connect/disconnect for propane? #6  
There's no way I'd personally risk using an air hose and air quick couplers. Most air hoses are rated for up to 300 psi, although very few are ever used where the air pressure exceeds 175 psi. However, with propane, you very well may be up around 300 psi when the ambient temperature is high.

/ Air quick connect/disconnect for propane? #7  
I would never use air fittings for propane because somebody may just get a hairbrained idea to use the propane tank to power a pneumatic tool. Who knows what that could lead to.

I'd stick with only fittings rated and certified for propane. ...and pressure washer fittings are different from air fittings too.

/ Air quick connect/disconnect for propane? #8  
Hi Bird,
I should maybe post an addenum to my previous post ! I didnt use air line on those tanks ! Just quick connect fittings, but with propane rated hose ! I guess Im considered by many on this forum to be bit reckless :eek: like three tractors with no ROPS, and I also do drink NC White Lightnin on occassion but I do fear for my life and dont want to end it sooner than the good lord sees fit ! ;)

BTW the brass quick connect fittings that I have, to the best of my knowledge are rated for propane ! But quick disconnect just the same.

/ Air quick connect/disconnect for propane? #9  
use the propane tank to power a pneumatic tool. Who knows what that could lead to.

Do your think that might lead to some serious excitement?:D

/ Air quick connect/disconnect for propane? #10  
Bird said:
Do your think that might lead to some serious excitement?:D

Only if you get excited by 6' flames shootin' out of your impact wrench.:eek: