Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    2005 MT265B

Default Air quick connect/disconnect for propane?

Any problem using air hose and quick connect/disconnect for propane? I plan to use it for connecting a portable grill. I know they made one specifically for propane used in RVs but cost over 10x as much. What's the real difference? Air hose and fittings are cheap and available everywhere.

Silver Member

Default Re: Air quick connect/disconnect for propane?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpfield
    Any problem using air hose and quick connect/disconnect for propane? I plan to use it for connecting a portable grill. I know they made one specifically for propane used in RVs but cost over 10x as much. What's the real difference? Air hose and fittings are cheap and available everywhere.
    I would guess the difference would be if you happened to have an insurance claim and the insurance company found out you were using it you would be paying for the damage.

Leaking air means a little hiss and a loss of air, leaking propane near a lit grill...I wouldn't risk it, even if the fitting is $100, that's a lot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room...

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
    Tractor
    55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284

It's funny you should ask that question. I was thinking the same thing.
    I don't think I'd use air hose for propane, since a leak or rupture would be much more dangerous than an air leak.
    My concern would be the freezing cold would make them brittle? But I don't know.

I was wondering if the fittings themselves would work?
    Anybody know?
    Rob-
    ...The Older I get...the Better I Used to be...
    Member of the Month

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2005 MT265B

Quote Originally Posted by 3RRL
    It's funny you should ask that question. I was thinking the same thing.
    I don't think I'd use air hose for propane, since a leak or rupture would be much more dangerous than an air leak.
    My concern would be the freezing cold would make them brittle? But I don't know.

I was wondering if the fittings themselves would work?
    Anybody know?
    Rob,

Good point about the temperature tolerance of the hose. I'll stick to hoses rated for propane. However, the brass fittings are made of the same material and same design. If either leaks, the risk is the same...

Tom

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Afternoon Stumpfield,
    Real good to hear you on again !

I have an older Ducane grill that I have those fittings on the tank and have used them for many years with no problem. Fast foward to today ! The only place that will fill those tanks is the place I bought the grill from period ! New regulations prevent filling stations from using those fittings. My two boys bought me a new stainless Charmglow grill for fathers day and the new grill tank has the fast thread fitting instead ! Honestly I really enjoyed the snap on fitting but as you know all good things dont last forever !
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

There's no way I'd personally risk using an air hose and air quick couplers. Most air hoses are rated for up to 300 psi, although very few are ever used where the air pressure exceeds 175 psi. However, with propane, you very well may be up around 300 psi when the ambient temperature is high.
    Bird

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

I would never use air fittings for propane because somebody may just get a hairbrained idea to use the propane tank to power a pneumatic tool. Who knows what that could lead to.

I'd stick with only fittings rated and certified for propane. ...and pressure washer fittings are different from air fittings too.
    Jim

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Hi Bird,
    I should maybe post an addenum to my previous post ! I didnt use air line on those tanks ! Just quick connect fittings, but with propane rated hose ! I guess Im considered by many on this forum to be bit reckless like three tractors with no ROPS, and I also do drink NC White Lightnin on occassion but I do fear for my life and dont want to end it sooner than the good lord sees fit !

BTW the brass quick connect fittings that I have, to the best of my knowledge are rated for propane ! But quick disconnect just the same.
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

use the propane tank to power a pneumatic tool. Who knows what that could lead to.
    Do your think that might lead to some serious excitement?
    Bird

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    Do your think that might lead to some serious excitement?
    Only if you get excited by 6' flames shootin' out of your impact wrench.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast