Upgrade service panel, 100 to 200 amps

/ Upgrade service panel, 100 to 200 amps #1  

Keoke

Gold Member
Tractor
JD-970
Hi folks, When we planned a new home we put the well (1993) in first. From the utility step down transformer to the service panel power company ran a 200 amp line ( 3/0 copper, underground) to a metered service panel. Unfortunately, the service panel installed was a Square D with a 100 amp breaker instead of a 200 amp breaker. Now that we are finally building the house we need to continue from existing panel up to house.
Questions are as follows:

1. Using the same box, can I simply replace 100 amp breaker with a 200 amp breaker?
2. Using a dummy breaker, built like a buss bar, with lugs that will accommodate 3/0 copper cable, continue on to house (underground) from existing well panel? House will have a 200 amp panel with no meter base in garage.
3. If I have to replace with a whole new 200 amp service panel at well what kind of panel (name) would allow me to feed well and also allow for a pass through 200 amps line on to house?

I hope all of this makes sense,
thanks,
keoke

/ Upgrade service panel, 100 to 200 amps #2  
Square D makes a 200 amp pass through panel. It has a main breaker (200)amps and 8 slots for breakers with 4/0 lugs of buss bar to pass the 200 amps on to the next panel.

You will have to replace the existing panel. You can not get 200 amps out of a 100 amp panel.

/ Upgrade service panel, 100 to 200 amps #3  
Square D Homeline series is more competitivly price and has the same type of pass thru panel.

Vernon

/ Upgrade service panel, 100 to 200 amps
Hockpuck and Texbaylea, could you give me the Square D and Homeline part numbers of these pass through 200 amp boxes.
So it looks like just swapping breakers is out.

thanks a lot fellows,

Last edited:
   / Upgrade service panel, 100 to 200 amps
Hockeypuck, thanks for the tip. The box you recommended would do the job but did not included the meter socket. So I called 3-D and they gave the part # of the same box with meter socket (sc816d200c). Now I need to find one at a reasonable price; any tips here.

thanks again,

/ Upgrade service panel, 100 to 200 amps #7  
I bought one of these panels at Lowes and it's great for $125 and my power company furnished me the meter can for it with fittings free

:)