Wood stove burning...

/ Wood stove burning... #31  
I've also enjoyed getting my wood ready, strange as it may seem. It is darn envigorating. Nice to stand back and watch the stack get bigger and bigger...
:D:D:D

I understand and its not strange to me. :D I am one of those people who could care less to watch sports, play them, "work out", etc. I get my "work out" working and the idea of watching any game is about as inviting as going to get a tooth pulled. I tell people at work I would rather split wood than watch a ball game. :) They look at me like I'm some very strange creature that can't be fathomed. :D They maybe right. :eek:

When splitting wood I listen to my mp3 player, three Johnny Cash CDs will get me about a half cord :D, and listening to the who 2GB is about a cord. :) Far more enjoyable than sitting at the ball park crammed in with a zillion other people, having to wait in line to pee and get outragously priced food. Yep, rather split wood.

At the end of working you have something to show for the effort and I know the family will be warm in the winter even if the power goes out. Go to a ball came what do I get? Tired. Hot. Stressed at the crowds/traffic. Empty wallet. Back hurts from the seat. Nope. Lets go split wood and listen to Clapton and Kottke! :)

Best of all I can pee when I want. Where I want. And not stand in someone else pee to do so! :D

Later,
Dan

/ Wood stove burning... #32  
coachgrd said:
I just had a wood stove installed in the family room of our home. I am located in northwestern PA. I would not go so far as to say we have Minnesota cold but ours are no walk in the park and they seem to drag on for 13 months a year.

Anyway, my intent in purchasing the stove is to take the chill off in the house while perhaps cutting into the propane consumption. My plan is the burn evenings & weekends throughout the season. I may even fill it up before I leave for work on exceptionally cold days. Any of you with stoves have an idea how many cords of wood I should get ready with a burning pattern such as the one I described?

Thanks in advance...
Gary

I have a fireplace xtrordinair model 36zc cat insert and burn m-f evenings for about 6 hours, weekends all day and burn about 5 cords year. I have heard this stove is a wood hog but it heats well and only wish I could keep it burning all night long. Certainly helps with the heating bills, I insulated and with the burning pattern I cut my propane usage in half.
I hope this helps.

/ Wood stove burning... #33  
coachgrd said:
Hey Ductape...is this 24-7 burning?

Enjoyed this pics!

I start burning on occaision (perhaps a couple nights during the week, and on weekends if its cold enough)..... sometimes as early as mid-september. I'd say we burn 24/7 starting late November/early December through late March/early April. Of course, the furnace kicks on at night, or mid-day when we are at work..... so i couldn't get away with burning wood only. The past two winters have been a little mild (though long), and i'd estimate we burned less than 150 gallons of oil per winter. In fact, with two tanks in the basement, i have not purchased oil in two years.

I too have to admit that i enjoy working on my wood pile. As long as i'm not under pressure time-wise. I'm trying to get well ahead, so the pressure will be off me next summer. Two years ago we ran out of wood, and had to "borrow" some from the in-laws..... not a good feeling.

/ Wood stove burning... #34  
rosietheriveter,
He, his wife, and six kids say it it very comfortable, although I usually feel like a sweater or at least a long sleeve shirt is a little better.
Your brother has 6 kids? lol ... It's no wonder he stays warmer than you.

I had a general question where to keep the wood pile. How far away from the residence is reasonable?

/ Wood stove burning... #35  
3RRL said:
I had a general question where to keep the wood pile. How far away from the residence is reasonable?

I hear ya Rob, I've heard several answers, so I keep it as close as possible. Don't want any long trips durring the real cold weather. I'm about 40 feet from my closest pile, about a hundred from the last section. My sister in law thinks I shouldn't have all that wood in my side yard, "it should be up by the barn" 240 feet from the side door, up a hill:eek: