Long distance shot with an AR-15

/ Long distance shot with an AR-15 #1  

RoyJackson

Rest in Peace
Tractor
John Deere 4052R Cab,, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements
   / Long distance shot with an AR-15 #2  
If you look close you can see actually the bullet trajectory.
Pretty cool!:)

/ Long distance shot with an AR-15
Bill Barrett said:
Thanks Roy, I want him on my side! Did you post this site, It's great too.
Long Range Shooting Simulation Demo

I saw it and bookmarked it, but I didn't post it originally.

I had a DPMS AR-15 pre-ban. It was a nice rifle, but matchgrade. I'm a plinker, so I didn't want to buy the proper ammo. Milsurp (Oh Boy!!! My Favorite) would just jam the rifle up. Too accurate a rifle for me!
This guy (in the video) is good though...heck, I can't even see 680 yards anymore!

/ Long distance shot with an AR-15 #5  
Thanks Roy,
brought back memories from high school.
My step dad had an old friend that was into guns.
He came out to our 36 A one daywith his 220 Swift.
We went down to the only clearing of any size and took a 2 in wide sweep plow point. They sent me out about 100 yds. and told me to stick it in the ground.
Then said, just get up into the woods, (at a right angle to line of fire).
So I'm switching my gaze from plow point to shooter. Back and forth.
Finally, "crack", the dirt flew to the tight of the plow point but the plow point did not move. I yelled "You missed!" Mr. Phillips said, "bring it to me".

Well you guessed it, the clean hole right in the middle was neat as a pin.
This was back about 1948 or so and I believe the 220 was the top MV at the time.l
Wish I had a good place to do some shooting now.
Sorry no video on this story.

/ Long distance shot with an AR-15 #6  
Hey Roy, think my Remington 700 BDL .223 HB can do that?

If not, my Barrett M99 (50BMG) can certainly toss 'em out there. With the Barrett, you can watch the action thru the scope all the way to the target. 1" groups at this range (Bipod + butt rest, me too). I have pix around here somewhere....

/ Long distance shot with an AR-15 #7  
Good Memories... I used to shoot highpower back a few years ago just when the heavy barreled .223 was making inroads into competition. They were Ok back then and had a few advantages in the offhand and rapid fire stages at 200-300 yards over the M-14's that we were shooting. They tended to suffer however back at 500-600, particularly when it was windy...

Pretty good cold barrel shot, considering he made his wind estimates before he zoomed in the camera and went to strap in and shoot. Having fired both, I think I still prefer the .30 for consistancy, particularly in the real crappy stuff.

Good Video

/ Long distance shot with an AR-15 #8  
I guess .223 is still super sonic at 680. That's some pretty good shooting. I see where the 1000 yrd competition is the first week of August. at Camp Perry.

/ Long distance shot with an AR-15 #9  
August in Ohio, right after the Atlantic fleet matches if I recall... Camp Perry was kind of dried out the times I shot there. Most beautifull range I ever shot at was Quantico, like shooting on a golf course:). Shot 1K there in high winds one year. Had so much wind I ran out of windage adjustment on the sight. I had to aim at the next target upwind and give a site correction with the wind. The .308 was out of it's element at that distance anyway. Like you mentioned, that 680 yard mousegun shot was still probably supersonic. I think it, like the boattailed Sierras we were shooting frequently de-stabilize when they drop subsonic(around 750 yards for the .308 if I recall). Quite often while pulling targets at 1000 yards, you would hear a funny "Wack" on the target above you and see where the bullet had hit the target sideways. The Garands in 30-06 and the 300 win mag sniper rifles owned that distance...

/ Long distance shot with an AR-15 #10  
Mornin Roy,
Very cool ! Thanks for posting that video ! My Uncle Dave has a range out in his fields, two benches, one at 50 yds and the other at 200 yds. I love going out there and shooting the 22/250 at 200. Its a bunch of fun and I can really appreciate what it must be like to shoot at almost 700 yds ! Thanks again !