Plumbing help (setting new toilet)

/ Plumbing help (setting new toilet) #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Situation: Just tiled floor in bathroom. Prior to tile, floor was simple concrete that we waited until now to get around finishing.

When the floor was first poured they made it flush with the toilet flange. Now that we’ve added tile the flange is roughly ¼” to maybe 3/8” of an inch below the floor.

In addition to that, the tabs used to insert the bolts are WAY off from being square to the wall. From the view of the picture #1, I’m facing the wall fairly square and the bolt holders should be at about 3:00 and 9:00. As you can see… their battery stopped!

Pics 2 & 3 also show how the holes are filled with concrete.

I was told I need to get an extender and that’s fine. It’s shown in pic 4. I was specifically told I’d need to get TWO extenders so the flange is raised above the floor and able to set into the toilet. Though that’s fine & dandy when I put ONE of them on the floor, part of it (maybe ½ of it is essentially flush with the floor and the other 1/2 of it is slightly ABOVE the plane of the floor tile. Meaning in part, perhaps the flange isn’t perfectly level, the floor isn’t perfectly level or some combo of both.

I WANT to get a flange that allows some adjustability for the attachment bolts but the only style I found at HD have the discrete slots for the bolts to slide in.

In picture 5 are pics of each type I bought. I now have FOUR of the extenders, two of each type. The one on the right is slightly thinner than the one on the left and the one on the left seems to have a better area to seal (the channel just inside the opening).

Ok, so that’s the basic issue as I see it (oh and if it helps, I think I got a #10 wax ring… never did I know that they make different wax rings.

Ok…my question is basically what is the best way to mount these extenders?

I was thinking of putting 4 holes & concrete screws in the BASE unit, silicone an extender on top of it and drill through IT’S 4 holes (through it’s 4 holes but creating 4 MORE holes in the one underneath, not using the first flanges existing holes since they'd already have screws in them) so I could screw it down also, but on a rotated angle from the first. Meaning, I COULD line the screw holes up but since the bolt receivers are NOT square to the walls I have to rotate it SOMEWHERE to align the toilet.

I would then rotate the second extender (and silicone it) so the receiver holes are square to the wall and drill through IT’S four holes so in total I’d have 16 concrete screws going around this thing… 4 on each ‘level’ with each level rotated a bit from the prior level.

Somehow I got to thinking this is making a mountain out of a molehill and thought I’d put it to my brethren at TBN as to the best way to mount the new toilet.

WHY on earth they didn’t make the initial flange square to the wall is beyond me.

Any thoughts on the best way to attach these flanges so I can put the toilet in?

(any thoughts ARE appreciated)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 130
   / Plumbing help (setting new toilet) #2  
just my opinion but, I would go under the house & cut that section of drain pipe off , add a small section of 3 - 4 '' drain pipe ( should be easy as it's PVC) & install a new flange & you can raise it above the floor as far as you need to get you above the tile .I just wouldn 't add all those flanges you may have future troubles

/ Plumbing help (setting new toilet)
kenmac said:
just my opinion but, I would go under the house & cut that section of drain pipe off , add a small section of 3 - 4 '' drain pipe ( should be easy as it's PVC) & install a new flange & you can raise it above the floor as far as you need to get you above the tile .I just wouldn 't add all those flanges you may have future troubles

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, there's NO way of going under the house without having to rip up a flagstone patio AND digging down maybe 6-8 feet as this part is under grade.

Though I do look for excuses of using my backhoe I think I want to pass on that one...I'd rather close it off and have NO toilet

/ Plumbing help (setting new toilet) #4  
Richard, in that case put the silicone to the flanges & just screw them together.Go to home depot & buy the part that sticks to the bottom of the toilet ( instead of the wax ring) it has a long rubber neck that will extend down into or past the original flange. I think it's called a can't leak flange (or something like that) I've used them a couple of times when I have had to add flange adapters