Removing t posts

/ Removing t posts #1  

Highsmith

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2350DT, BCS 853
How do I best use a farm jack (like the one pictured) to remove t-posts? I am thinking I just tie a chain around the post and jack and lift, but there are over a hundred posts and I would like the best method possible. Or should I just buy a Post Popper for ease?

Attachments

• farm jack.gif
    farm jack.gif
    8 KB · Views: 987
  • post popper.jpg
    post popper.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,044
   / Removing t posts #2  
Highsmith said:
How do I best use a farm jack (like the one pictured) to remove t-posts? I am thinking I just tie a chain around the post and jack and lift, but there are over a hundred posts and I would like the best method possible. Or should I just buy a Post Popper for ease?

I'm guessing you already have a jack, so I'd try this first. Get a section of chain about 2' long and fasten it into a loop. Drop the loop over the post so the links catch the little ridges and then twist the chain into a figure 8 shape. Loop the open end of the figure 8 over the snout of the jack and start jacking. The chain should tighten and pull the post. You may have to lean the jack or brace it some, but I think the quick attachment you gain with the post puller can be duplicated using the chain loop.

/ Removing t posts #3  
My experience is that the high lift juack works better than those post poppers. Actually a FEL with a chain is even better.

/ Removing t posts #4  
If you have a helper you can use this method....take an old wheel (doesn't matter what size or brand, just a vehicle wheel without a tire on it) and place it close to the post in a vertical position. Wrap a chain around the post as close to the ground as you can and tie the other end to a tractor, jeep, whatever. Put the chain over the wheel and pull. Up comes the post. This is not a speedy way to pull posts by yourself, but with one more person you can do a lot of posts.

/ Removing t posts #5  
I suppose Jim is referring to something like this.

But you could get one of these (or build it) for your fel or 3pt. Use it on posts or trees?

/ Removing t posts #6  
i've used the farm jack method, the fel and chain method and the post popper. by far the easiest and fastest method is the post popper. i've pulled a lot of posts using the popper and i've never ran into a post that i could not get out using the popper.

/ Removing t posts #7  
I'm a FEL and chain guy. Tell a buddy you'll buy him a brew and let him stay on the ground and wrap the chain around T posts and put them in the FEL. You drive the tractor. :)

I get tired of lugging the tractor jack around.

/ Removing t posts #8  
   / Removing t posts #9  
Well, TxDon, I wouldn't argue that you could do that... but, I'd sweat less in my tractor cab. Now, my buddy... different story:)

/ Removing t posts #10  
When I get old I'm going to get a cab.....and a buddy.:D