Storing Sweet Corn???

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #1  

Oleozz

Veteran Member
Tractor
International 1066 with Year Round Cab, Kioti DK 45S with Cab, 451 Loader
Could a sweet corn grower answer a question for me? How long can you keep corn once it's been picked? I'm talking about corn with the husk on. I sold out quick this morning and the corn was sold within two hours of having picked it but was wondering if I can keep it overnight if it's in a cool place?
Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #2  
If it is still in the shuck in a cool place out of the sun it should still stay fresh for a few days. As for storing more long term I freeze mine in the shuck, whenever I get it out I soak it in water for a few hours then take it straight to the grille. Some people can tell it is not fresh and has been stored but most people cannot tell the difference.

To keep you corn cooler and fresher pick it very ealry in teh morning before it starts warming up, if picked early and left in the shade it will stay cool.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #3  
I don't really know just how long it would keep, but overnight should certainly be no problem.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #4  
The moment you pick the corn off the stalk the sugars in the kernels begin converting to starch, so corn picked yesterday is never going to taste as sweet (and fresh) as corn picked today. The warmer the corn is allowed to become the faster the sugar-to-starch process occurs, so keeping it cool will ******, but not stop, the process. Anytime I am buying corn on the cob, I ask if it was picked the same day. If not, I won't buy it.

When I grew sweet corn for sale, I only picked what I was very confident that I could sell that day. If it looked like I wouldn't be able to sell it all, I would add a couple ears to late day buyers' purchases to get rid of it, rather than sell corn that wasn't fresh-picked.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #5  
Olezze, From what I understand , Depending on the sugar ratings ie: su/se/sh2 once picked it starts to lose it sweetness however very slowly over hours, so from my understanding it is better to get it as fresh as possible (obviously) but I wouldn't want to get my corn picked more than a day in advance if I didn't have to...

One rating of corn may lose sweetness faster than another,

Thats how I have interpeted most of what I have read in the corn growing game..It has been awhile (2yrs.) since I have done any further research on corn advice , We are just growing for the family garden.

I'm sure you can freeze it but it will probably lose some sweetness, Honestly our corn has never lasted long enough to have any leftover for freezing :D

Maybe I should plant more :rolleyes:

I know my twins would eat it all up!!!

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #6  
coveredbridge said:
The moment you pick the corn off the stalk the sugars in the kernels begin converting to starch, so corn picked yesterday is never going to taste as sweet (and fresh) as corn picked today. The warmer the corn is allowed to become the faster the sugar-to-starch process occurs, so keeping it cool will ******, but not stop, the process. ...
I'll second that. In Oregon, sweet corn production is a big farm crop. How quickly the sugar turns to starch will depend upon the variety. Some varities will have turned a good portion to starch in as little as 4 hrs. Some of the newer real high sugar varieties can go longer.

I try and have my corn hitting the freezer within a hr of picking. If we're doing a large amount I may not pick all the corn at same time just to insure the freshes taste even when its eaten months later.

I just shake my head when I see people buying sweet corn in the store when you know it's got to be a couple days old and they wouldn't give thought to frozen corn. Commercial frozen corn can't be more than 3-4 hrs old when processed or at least that is the way it is around here. Processors are running corn 24/7 for about 6 weeks starting in Sept in this area.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #7  
over night should not be any problem as long as its kept somewhat cool....and the sugary enhanced varieties keep better. i used to grow some and always picked it the late afternoon before the next mornings market....never any complaints.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #8  
I think that todays hybirds hold their sugar content and flavor better then corn grown 15-25 years ago. Dad always said you can walk to the patch but run back to the stove. Mom would have the water boiling as well.:D

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #9  
The older varieties like "Silver Queen", "Iowa Chief", "Golden Bantam", "Seneca Chief", etc. are su (sugary) but their sugar goes to starch very quickly. I wouldn't recommend storing them overnight if you can avoid it. The reason they're called sugary is because they're sweet corn (not field corn).

The corn varieties listed as se or se+ (sugary enhanced) or sh2 (shrunken kernels) will easily hold overnight, and are still quite good a couple of days later. Note: Don't plant the sh2 supersweet varieties near se or the older su corn.

Here's a list of some se corn varieties:
  • Delectable
  • Incredible
  • Honey Select
  • Serendipity
  • Bodacious
  • Jackpot
  • Argent
  • Kandy Plus
  • Legend
  • Tablemaster
There are other se varieties; Google your variety to find out its designation.

Bodacious is my current favorite. It germinates well here and has nice large ears. Honey Select (a modified se type called Triple Sweet) did well for me too.

For home use, if you want to freeze it, steam it first for 4 minutes, then cool it quickly in cold water (ice water if possible). That blanching stops the sugar from converting to starch. Of course you wouldn't want to do this to corn you're planning to sell at a farmer's market!

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #10  
someone at the farmers market stopped by my booth to buy beans and told me that she freezes corn by cutting the kernels off the cob and freezing them directly. no blanching.