Sq Ft measurement for lime and Fertilizer

/ Sq Ft measurement for lime and Fertilizer #1  

BizDoc

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
I sent a soil sample to Penn State for a piece of ground that won't grow anything, not even weeds. I received the report back that said I need 410 lb of lime per 1000 sq feet.

Ok, the question, what is 1000 sq feet? is it 1000 long by 1000 wide, or is it 10 X 100 (or something similar equaling 1000) ?

/ Sq Ft measurement for lime and Fertilizer #2  
1000' X 1'
100' X 10'
50' X 20'
31.62' X 31.62'
Any two sides of a square/rectangle multiplied together that equal 1000.

All these equal 1000 SQ/FT.

/ Sq Ft measurement for lime and Fertilizer #4  
Is this for a yard or garden? If so did you state that? If you did then they put the rate into terms that would be easier for you to understand. And as was said, 1000 sq ft is equal to 10x100, 50x20, 31.6227x31.6227.....Basically, there are 1000 little 1'x1' squares in 1000 sq ft.

Sig, 1 acre is 43,560 sq ft.

/ Sq Ft measurement for lime and Fertilizer #5  
thats a lot of lime...a half pound per sq ft....

/ Sq Ft measurement for lime and Fertilizer #6  
It comes out to about 9 ton per acre which is more then the ground can absorb in a year. So unless he it tilling this lime in he could cut back to 200 pounds per 1000 sq ft and do it again in a year or two. The Penn State report should have listed application rates and recommendations.

/ Sq Ft measurement for lime and Fertilizer
It is alot of lime, believe me I know. and yes it does get tilled in. After laying down the lime, it is to be tilled in 4 to 6 inches. I have 17,000 sq ft that was an old stripping pond that was just filled in with dirt, which I found out is different than soil, so in order to get anything to grow I need the lime. I had a landscapper hydroseed the area twice, but to no avail. Need the lime.

Thank you.

/ Sq Ft measurement for lime and Fertilizer #8  
That's a lot of lime.
I would double check with the agency to make sure that your land requires that much lime .... extreme acidic!
I just got my report back for the area I plan to plant grass. The recomandation is 4 tons per acre.

/ Sq Ft measurement for lime and Fertilizer #9  
That is a lot of lime but not unheard of in our acidic soil. Working it in will make a big difference and if that is not possible I would split the application doing half now and the other half in six months. You will save a fortune if you can get the local fertilizer company to apply powdered lime with a spreader truck rather than buying palletized lime. I have always been told that it takes about six months for lime to neutralize the soil PH so don’t expect immediate growing success with soil that bad.

MarkV

/ Sq Ft measurement for lime and Fertilizer #10  
While waiting for the lime to kick in, you could plant some annual rye grass. That stuff grows almost anywhere and will at least give you some ground cover while waiting for grass to take hold. Clover is another good option - grows in anything and will be good for the grass, also.