duck repellent?

/ duck repellent? #1  

anthonyk

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3647
Any idea for getting rid of unwanted ducks?

We've got mallards, Muscovy, and an occasional goose.
At first it was nice, but, you know the rest of the story.

Don't want to shoot them, so if anyone knows any good tricks or can recommend an effective repellent, please let me know!

thanks,

anthony

/ duck repellent? #2  
This company Gemplers has some pest management supplies including deterrents to geese and roosting birds. I've ordered other stuff from Gemplers quite a few times with no problems. I can't vouch for the effectiveness of any of the deterrents, though.

/ duck repellent? #3  
Certainly try out some of those decoys posted earlier. Another option is to get a couple of dogs (retriever/pointer/herding breeds) and let them run the area where the birds are living. The trick is to not give them (the birds) any time to rest or eat. If they can do either, they will keep coming back.

/ duck repellent? #4  
Bird bombs?

Dogs that chase them?

Soundguy

/ duck repellent? #5  
Get yourself a real nice shotgun, a few boxes of fancy no-lead shotgun shells for $25 a box, build a nice heated duck blind, spend hours learning to use a duck call, get the fanciest waders you can find and train a labrador to fetch them for you. Consider buying a duck boat. Haul all that out on the coldest most miserable day of winter.....and you'll never see them again and you will never even have to fire a shot.

/ duck repellent? #7  
I would like to have a couple of muscovy ducks. Can you ship me some? As funny as this sounds, I'm not joking. I've been looking for muscovys locally and cannot find any. I'll pay for overnight shipping. Let me know.

/ duck repellent? #8  
N80 said:
Get yourself a real nice shotgun, a few boxes of fancy no-lead shotgun shells for $25 a box, build a nice heated duck blind, spend hours learning to use a duck call, get the fanciest waders you can find and train a labrador to fetch them for you. Consider buying a duck boat. Haul all that out on the coldest most miserable day of winter.....and you'll never see them again and you will never even have to fire a shot.
Isn't this the duck-specific version of a general repellent known as Murphy's Repellent?;)

I know I've used the deer-specific version with great success.

/ duck repellent? #9  
The golf course I play on uses dead duck decoys floating in the ponds. They work great. I know some in the south use floating gator decoys, it keeps the kids out of the pond for a while as well.

/ duck repellent? #10  
Anthony, I was in north west Houston this past weekend..... in a gated community with bunches and bunches of little lakes...EVERY house has lake front. there were a few ducks and swans waddling around..no hunting or fishing allowed (drat):mad:.. am sure you could bring yours and toss them over the fence:eek:... it looked duck tight to me:rolleyes:... and they would be happy... the fellow at the gate takes names and license plates and demands that you have the name and address of somebody you are visiting, so I think you need to do this deed out of sight of the front gate. :D