Moving

/ Moving #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
I posted about colvert and now I have a question to any who have moved using Uhaul trucks. I was wondering about the ramps that they have on these trucks. I have a riding lawn mower that is 3 feet wide that I need to get up this ramp and a large upright air compressor to get up it. The air compressor out weighs me, probably weighs 300lbs or so. Have you used uhaul before. We will use the 26' truck but it has no lift gate. What is your experience with uhaul.

/ Moving #2  
My experience is that they come with fairly long loading ramps and most things can be rolled up the ramp.

/ Moving #3  
I just did this in June using a 26' Penski truck which I figure is pretty close equipment-wise to a Uhaul. It had a single ramp just wide enough for a hand truck. If you can get the compressor on a hand truck youll be golden. I think other arrangements will be needed for the mower.

/ Moving #4  
Have you considered renting a truck with a lift gate? Most lift gates are wide enough you can put the mower on it sideways and lift it up and the compressor would be a lot easier on a lift gate then trying to put it up the ramp and hope you don't slip.

The ramps are decent length but but for heavy items the lift gate is great.

/ Moving #5  
With the height of those trucks, you might consider backing the moving truck into a small ditch(dry ground underneath) or up against a bank and load the mower that way and use the 2-wheel cart(as jimg suggested) to put in the heavy air compressor in at the same time. You still may have to use the ramp, but it will be much more horizontal. I don't know if the ditch/bank option is available to you.
U-haul trucks and Penske rental trucks are usually low on power. They purchase low horsepower engines(170 HP) and sometimes restrict top speed to 60 mph. Just some info if the rental place doesn't mention it. Thus, I recommend you give yourself plenty of time, if you move cross-country.​

/ Moving #6  
The only problem with trying to use the ditch/bank method is what happens if you don't have that option when you get to where you are going. Then you have something stuck on the truck. However you load it you will need to unload it roughly the same way.

/ Moving #7  
Heres a thought -- if you really dont want or cant get a lift gate, put the mower on furniture trucks and roll it up the ramp.

/ Moving #8  
What kind of mower? Maybe make a ladder type ramp to lay on top of the u-haul ramp. Use 2x4s for rungs nailed to 2x6s for treads. Drive mower up into truck.

/ Moving #9  
I rented from Penski when I moved here. The truck had the long aluminum ramp the slid out the back. It was perfect for a hand truck and just walking up and down it to load everything. I parked the truck so the ramp wasn't very steep, which made a huge difference.

My riding mower is a Sears Craftsman 43 inch that was too heavy to lift. I tried driving it up the rails of the ramp, but the tires just spun. With two friends pushing, I was able to steer and drive it up the ramp.

When I got to Texas, I figured I'd just drive it down the ramp on my own. It sorta worked that way, except the tires fell off the rails of the ramp and the mower slid down on the mower deck. It was a quick, out of control ride that turned out fine. Just suprised me when it happend.

Eddie

/ Moving #10  
That would be my worry using the truck ramp - it's too narrow to be comfy driving the mower up and down.