Bronze Member

Default Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper?

In another life, I was in charge of selling the copper scrap our facility generated. Almost a million pounds a year. All that copper was top grade slugs, punch outs, and various clipped corners. That excellent scrap, combined with a consistent supply, brought an unbeliveable price; over 75 percent of the metal component of the coils we used (the coils had two pricing components, the variable metal value and a fixed fabrication cost).

Fast forward to the present. I have some copper to sell and all my contacts are long gone and forgotten. I have never sold lower grade copper and have no idea on the associated discount versus top grade. With copper topping $3.00, I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything excessive on the table. Before I call some local scrap places, I'd like to have some idea on the percentage discount assocated with lower grade copper scrap.

I have a 5,000 foot reel of solid core #6 THHN (insulated) copper. Judging by the difficulty in moving this reel it most weigh at least 350 pounds.

I also have a 1950s/1960s 600 amp welder that I think weighs about 500 pounds. I believe a good portion of this weight is copper.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tractor
    B-2910 delivered 8/23/01

Default Re: Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper?

The last time I sold any "scrap" our local yard wanted it separated before they would pay top price. If I had what you describe and had the time I'd get at least a couple of "bids".
    Plant a tree, help it grow; children need something to climb.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Last copper I sold was about 4 months back. I got $2.88 lb for #1 and $2.38 for #2.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454

Frank29,

You have three grades;

1 uncleaned #1. The scrap mills have scrubers so when they burn it off the pollution is minimized.
    2 Burned Cu. This is a bad move for all the nasty smoke
    3 Cleaned. Depending the price different, you could strip it tranfering it to another spool through a stripping device.

Get prices based on 3 methods above. In the end, I think you will need to remove the spool! and explain where you got it. Much theft these days

Tractor
    JD 4610 ehydro MFWD

Quote Originally Posted by frank29
    In another life, I was in charge of selling the copper scrap our facility generated. Almost a million pounds a year. All that copper was top grade slugs, punch outs, and various clipped corners. That excellent scrap, combined with a consistent supply, brought an unbeliveable price; over 75 percent of the metal component of the coils we used (the coils had two pricing components, the variable metal value and a fixed fabrication cost).

Fast forward to the present. I have some copper to sell and all my contacts are long gone and forgotten. I have never sold lower grade copper and have no idea on the associated discount versus top grade. With copper topping $3.00, I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything excessive on the table. Before I call some local scrap places, I'd like to have some idea on the percentage discount assocated with lower grade copper scrap.

I have a 5,000 foot reel of solid core #6 THHN (insulated) copper. Judging by the difficulty in moving this reel it most weigh at least 350 pounds.

I also have a 1950s/1960s 600 amp welder that I think weighs about 500 pounds. I believe a good portion of this weight is copper.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I would think the reel of copper wire would be worth a lot more sold as copper wire?

Reg
    Elite Member

I'd guess most of that welder's weight is in the iron - transformer and choke.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 445

last week, I sold,copper i received $2.98 lb for #1 and $2.68 for #2.
    brass was 2.15
    CALL AROUND BEFORE YOU SELL

Veteran Member

You'll probably need to remove the iron core from the copper coil in the welder. I sold a welder for copper scrap and he wasnt interested in it unless the iron was removed.
    You'll probably get more money for the welder selling it as a welder.