Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper?

/ Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper? #1  

frank29

Bronze Member
In another life, I was in charge of selling the copper scrap our facility generated. Almost a million pounds a year. All that copper was top grade slugs, punch outs, and various clipped corners. That excellent scrap, combined with a consistent supply, brought an unbeliveable price; over 75 percent of the metal component of the coils we used (the coils had two pricing components, the variable metal value and a fixed fabrication cost).

Fast forward to the present. I have some copper to sell and all my contacts are long gone and forgotten. I have never sold lower grade copper and have no idea on the associated discount versus top grade. With copper topping $3.00, I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything excessive on the table. Before I call some local scrap places, I'd like to have some idea on the percentage discount assocated with lower grade copper scrap.

I have a 5,000 foot reel of solid core #6 THHN (insulated) copper. Judging by the difficulty in moving this reel it most weigh at least 350 pounds.

I also have a 1950s/1960s 600 amp welder that I think weighs about 500 pounds. I believe a good portion of this weight is copper.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper? #2  
The last time I sold any "scrap" our local yard wanted it separated before they would pay top price. If I had what you describe and had the time I'd get at least a couple of "bids".

/ Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper? #3  
Last copper I sold was about 4 months back. I got $2.88 lb for #1 and $2.38 for #2.

/ Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper? #4  
Frank29,

You have three grades;

1 uncleaned #1. The scrap mills have scrubers so when they burn it off the pollution is minimized.
2 Burned Cu. This is a bad move for all the nasty smoke
3 Cleaned. Depending the price different, you could strip it tranfering it to another spool through a stripping device.

Get prices based on 3 methods above. In the end, I think you will need to remove the spool! and explain where you got it. Much theft these days

/ Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper? #5  
frank29 said:
In another life, I was in charge of selling the copper scrap our facility generated. Almost a million pounds a year. All that copper was top grade slugs, punch outs, and various clipped corners. That excellent scrap, combined with a consistent supply, brought an unbeliveable price; over 75 percent of the metal component of the coils we used (the coils had two pricing components, the variable metal value and a fixed fabrication cost).

Fast forward to the present. I have some copper to sell and all my contacts are long gone and forgotten. I have never sold lower grade copper and have no idea on the associated discount versus top grade. With copper topping $3.00, I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything excessive on the table. Before I call some local scrap places, I'd like to have some idea on the percentage discount assocated with lower grade copper scrap.

I have a 5,000 foot reel of solid core #6 THHN (insulated) copper. Judging by the difficulty in moving this reel it most weigh at least 350 pounds.

I also have a 1950s/1960s 600 amp welder that I think weighs about 500 pounds. I believe a good portion of this weight is copper.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would think the reel of copper wire would be worth a lot more sold as copper wire?

/ Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper? #6  
I'd guess most of that welder's weight is in the iron - transformer and choke.

/ Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper? #7  
last week, I sold,copper i received $2.98 lb for #1 and $2.68 for #2.
brass was 2.15
CALL AROUND BEFORE YOU SELL

/ Copper scrap: what $ to expect for "dirty" copper? #8  
You'll probably need to remove the iron core from the copper coil in the welder. I sold a welder for copper scrap and he wasnt interested in it unless the iron was removed.
You'll probably get more money for the welder selling it as a welder.