Help with mulching new grass

/ Help with mulching new grass #1  

elalexander

Gold Member
Tractor
1982 Bolens/Iseki TS 1910 f (G194)
I don't know how many of you hate to spread ole hay/straw on new grass but I hate it. I can always get old, last years hay etc from my co-workers who have farms. It takes some time but is good as a mulch. Yes I know all about the weeds from the seed etc. Anyway... I was about to start mulching this morning when I notied some treess just starting to turn and got thinking about using my Cyclone rake to suck up all of the Oak leaves etc. Bingo. A light went on and after I got things set up I was done in 1/2 hour. The old wet hay got air put into it and it is a much better job then I could have done by just breaking flakes of hay up. I've included some pictures. Remember this is or can be dangerous. I worn hearing and eye protection and no lose fitting clothing. My better half came home for lunch as I was taking a shot while kicking a flake into the intake and was just shaking her head.:rolleyes: It worked for me. If you have one of these units try it. Two people would be perfect... one to drive and one to feed direct etc.:D

Last edited:
   / Help with mulching new grass #2  
Good idea... I hated spreading straw, and I had to do it twice in 6 months on the same piece of real estate. Both times it was about 20 bales by hand...

I was a dirty, tired, sore, and sneezy, little person when it was all done...

/ Help with mulching new grass #3  
This may sound stupid, buuuuuuuuut...Why do you spread the hay on the grass in the first place? Dave

/ Help with mulching new grass
Hi Dave. Basically it reduce's the amount of watering that you have to do. It holds moisture in, and protects the seedbed from some sun so the seedbed doesn't dry out. I don't know for sure what is proper, but when my grass gets about 3 inches tall I rake some of the straw/hay out and just cut the top of the grass. The remaining material, (straw etc) will make a nice bed of mulch to help the grass stay moist and help hold it during the next few cuttings until the roots become established.