Large poly water storage tank question-

/ Large poly water storage tank question- #1  

Skyco

Elite Member
Been looking at the 1000 gallon or so poly water storage tanks for my mountain property. We have no water on the land except for a spring which hasn't run in months since the area is in extreme drought conditions. My plan is to fill the tank when we do have water to have it available during such periods.
So my question is- I notice most of the tanks have a roughly 16" opening they call a "manway". Are they serious? Can an average to large guy actually fit through an opening that size to clean the tank for example?
Seems like all the tanks I've looked into at Tractor Supply have junk in them I'd want out before use.:cool:

/ Large poly water storage tank question- #2  
Skyco said:
Been looking at the 1000 gallon or so poly water storage tanks for my mountain property. We have no water on the land except for a spring which hasn't run in months since the area is in extreme drought conditions. My plan is to fill the tank when we do have water to have it available during such periods.
So my question is- I notice most of the tanks have a roughly 16" opening they call a "manway". Are they serious? Can an average to large guy actually fit through an opening that size to clean the tank for example?
Seems like all the tanks I've looked into at Tractor Supply have junk in them I'd want out before use.:cool:

I've also been wondering what type of container to use as a cistern. There is a recent thread in the rural living section that covers some types.

/ Large poly water storage tank question- #3  
I live in the mtns where most of my neighbors use 5000 gal
green or black polyethylene tanks. 5000-10000 gal steel tanks are
still sold around here, but they eventually rust and are difficult
to deliver and install. The manholes on them are not huge,
but a person could go inside them if they are not too large.
Not really necessary for the sizes 2500 gal or less as you can
tip them over and wash them out from outside.

White poly is not very popular cuz algae tends to grow inside.

I went with concrete myself.

/ Large poly water storage tank question- #4  
Skyco said:

I expect you could get inside one of those tanks, but I don't think I would want to. It would get pretty claustrophobic in their.

/ Large poly water storage tank question- #5  
dfkrug said:
I live in the mtns where most of my neighbors use 5000 gal
green or black polyethylene tanks. 5000-10000 gal steel tanks are
still sold around here, but they eventually rust and are difficult
to deliver and install. The manholes on them are not huge,
but a person could go inside them if they are not too large.
Not really necessary for the sizes 2500 gal or less as you can
tip them over and wash them out from outside.

White poly is not very popular cuz algae tends to grow inside.

I went with concrete myself.

How big is your concrete tank and did you build it yourself? Been thinking of building one myself.

/ Large poly water storage tank question- #6  
MtnViewRanch said:
How big is your concrete tank and did you build it yourself? Been thinking of building one myself.

My tank holds 5000 gal, and is about 6' high and 14' in diam. Poured
in place using slightly curved Polysteel insulating concrete forms (ICFs).
Photo is just before the pour, which reqd 500 feet of pumper hose, and
150' of elevation. I did all the work except the pumping.

A cylindrical tank requires much less of a foundation than does a
rectangular one. A concrete tank is less prone to damage from
falling trees or limbs (big problem here).

Attachments

• water_tank_2.jpg
    water_tank_2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 538
   / Large poly water storage tank question- #7  
Skyco said:

I just received a 5000 gallon poly tank this weekend. An average size guy could get through the hole IF the ladder was IN the tank and leaning against the inside wall. In my case the ladder was too long so it had to poke up through the hole, reducing the space to about 12 x 18 inches. That was a squeeze! I dont think I'll ever get in again to clean it but I had to get in this once to fit the centre pole that supports the roof.

http://www.teampoly.com.au/Images/Products/corr/new/5000g_corr_tank.jpg
Team Poly Products
Tank Features

/ Large poly water storage tank question- #8  
One thing I did when I got a used tank and I had to clean it out, I also saw the ladder problem to get out. I tipped the tank on it's side, then I could crawn in at ground level. I then pressure washed it while the end was tilted so the water would run towards the opening, vacuumed out the dirty water, and it was good to go.
All the tipping up and down was done with the loader - also I rolled the tank about 400ft for the install, it was way too heavy and bulky to lift. That was a site to see.

/ Large poly water storage tank question- #9  
Skyco

I am in the same citation as you
I have been using the 3 IBC's for about 15 years at my cabin
I have one to catch rain water for flushing toilet (bucket flushes).
Another plumbed in to cabin to pitcher pump beside sink.
Third on a trailer to go to spring to fetch water its about 15 miles round trip.

they cost about $75.00 each

tom

/ Large poly water storage tank question- #10  
Get one of those Intex Easy-Set pools.. 18ftx48in.. for $300 bucks.. you'll have a water tank that you can swim in too!