Drill run out

/ Drill run out #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
Any of you guys look at your drill bits after putting them in the chuck and see what looks like a little wobble when the bit is turning? This sometimes bothers me. It seems like every drill I look at even new has this problem to some extent. I have a milwaukee drill that I that was the best drill ever made and I see this somewhat in it. I tried my skil drill and seen the same thing. Is there any drill that does not have this problem? I never noticed this until I read about it on the internet. Any thoughts?

/ Drill run out #2  
I noticed run-out (wobble) in drill bits on a Makita drill I had. The shaft that the chuck threads onto was bent. I straightened it enough to help, but the drill was never the same again. I'm not sure how I bent it. Probably from using electricians bits (24" long) and putting them on a lateral bind. It may also have been from using a paint-stirrer in the drill.

I've bought three new drills since then (all Makita, but Milwaukee is a very good drill too), and none of them have the problem (yet).

Do you use extra long bits (like the electrician's bits)? Do you warble out a hole to make it a bit larger by tilting the bit around in the hole? I do, but I'm a bit more cautious now since my experience with the bent shaft. Drills aren't designed to handle a lateral force on the chuck.

/ Drill run out #3  
I never had that problem until about six months ago. I have had 7 or 8 like that since.