Creating a home for my Hot Tub

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #21  
schmism said:
psssstttt

you should have your nutral and ground bars tied together in your pannel

and any sub pannel will require its own ground rod ;)

Yep you're quite right, neutral and ground in a sub panel that doesn't have a ground wire to the main needs to be bounded at the sub panel, and if you take another look you'll see that is how it is.

And any sub panel that is not in the same building as the main needs to have it's own ground rod, and if you look at the grounding buss bar, the copper wire at the very top is the "Grounding Conductor" and is connected to a ground rod in the enclosure with the green cover.

Ok eagle eye keep trying, I'm up to the challenge. :)

Attachments

• bonding_strap.jpg
    bonding_strap.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 258
  • ground wire.jpg
    ground wire.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 245
  • grounding_rod.jpg
    grounding_rod.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 232
   / Creating a home for my Hot Tub #22  
thumbsup.gif

as eddie was going to be pokeing around in his pannel, i figured it was good info to mention.

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #23  
That is the style connection our spa has now. Originally I had the GFI breaker at the main panel. Moved to the "spa Panel" after having GFI issues.

Interesting, we had a brown-out a couple weeks ago. Our "spa panel" uses a GFI tied to a contacter. At low voltage, the contacter started clattering(woke us up in middle of night). I am actually glad it did; we then went and shut everything that happened to be still powered, off.

Highbeam said:
This last tub I went with the "spa panel" option where you run a regular breaker at the main panel to feed a GFCI breaker/disconnect/110 GFCI outlet at a location near the tub. The spa panel was also around 100$ and mounts within sight and so many feet so is a little less aesthetically pleasing but more functional since I can shut it off without going to the main panel.

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub
hitek,

Thank for the pictures and explination. I was expecting something like that, but the pigtail was a suprise. The pictures really helped ALLOT!!!!!

Again, thank you.

Eddie

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #25  
Eddie,
I don't know didly squat about installing a hot tub, but It looks like you did a great job to me. I like the location you picked. There's no reason you couldn't turn that area into a patio like area so there's no rush to get to the house. Like maybe add a bar there?:)

I had a question about that miniature cement mixer on your pick up truck.
What does that hold...about a yard or so? Where can you get those?
Another more important question, how does Steph like it and when are we going to see pictures of her in it?:)

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub
Hi Rob,

United Rentals is a tool and equipment rental company here in Tyler. I thought they were nationwide, but don't know that for sure, or if they are in your area. I'm always renting tools from one of three companies here, but they are the only one who has concrete

The buggy itself rents for $22 a day and they keep the gas tank full when you get more mud. I've done as much as five yards this way, but usualy it's just one or two yards.

It holds one yard, but you can also get half a yard at about 60% the price of a full yard. I've done this too.

The big advantage to buying mud this way is you don't have to deal with the minimum load from the concrete companies to send out a truck. Here it's a four yard minimum. Price of concret is cheaper, but I never priced it for this job.

The other advantage is you can get that trailer into areas that you cannot get a full sized concrete truck. I didn't want one of them in the area this area either, so for me, this was the best option.

Later on, after it's all done, plus a few other projects that I've started and will be starting some threads on, we're going to create a paver walkway to get there and back. I'm also going to build a new fire ring.

Funny thing about pics of Steph. I posted 70 pictures of our vacation to South Dakota in the Photos section, and ever one that has her name on them had three times as many hits as the pictures that didn't mention her. I wonder why that is???? hahahaha

Eddie

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #27  
A lot of the rock yard and rental yards have those mixer type buggies around the greater Sacramento area. They do not mix in them; it just keeps the mud mixed up for the trip. If you search for concrete buggy or concrete trailer you'll see companies with them.

3RRL said:
I had a question about that miniature cement mixer on your pick up truck.
What does that hold...about a yard or so? Where can you get those?

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #28  
RobertN said:
A lot of the rock yard and rental yards have those mixer type buggies around the greater Sacramento area. They do not mix in them; it just keeps the mud mixed up for the trip. If you search for concrete buggy or concrete trailer you'll see companies with them.
Where do get the mud then if it doesn't mix it? I thought you could mix with it too, that would be great.

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #29  
Around the Sacramento area, they(concrete yard, rock yard, landscape yard etc) mix the concrete just like for the open style concrete buggy/trailer; they have a big hopper/mixer with a chute that fills the buggy.

I've looked inside the trailers; they have paddles in them. I imagine you could mix in them. I have only seen them at concrete or landscape/rock yards that premix.

This site shows both styles of concrete trailers:
Concrete-to-Go Premixed in Towable Trailer

These guys indicate they can mix, or carry dry material:
Mix Trailers

Another
Features

I really don't see anything on the pages that indactes a load and mix on sit4e using these. Imagine it could be done though. The opening is not all that big, so loading 1-1.25 yars of material might be a chore. It's bigger than a small 1-2 bag mixer, but not a lot bigger...

3RRL said:
Where do get the mud then if it doesn't mix it? I thought you could mix with it too, that would be great.

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #30  
Robert,
Thanks a lot for all the good information and links.
I am very interested in those concrete trailers for all the concrete projects coming up regarding my new home.