Dogs

/ Dogs #121  
We got another last sunday, our 6th! It was from someone I knew. He mentioned he was having problems with the dogs health. I had no idea until I saw him. He's a springer spaniel and was grossly under weight with open sores and some matted scabbed sores all over his body. Nancy gave the guy $5 and said, "He's my dog now, your not getting him back". He's not ready for pictures yet, trying to put some weight on him. She works on his skin twice a day, and has him on a special diet. When he's a little stronger, we'll get him to our vet. For now, we're keeping him separated from our guys. He seemed truly sad and depressed when we got him. He's slowly getting his personality back, just craving human attention.
I'll get some pics of him and post them when he's better.

/ Dogs #122  
Springers are my favorite - especially since there's one sleeping on my feet as I type type this. <G>

My vet has a springer and says his is the same way - wants to be touching their human - likes to ride in the truck leaning on the driver - under my desk chair during the day - they are just people dogs. Not shy about defending the household, but she gets her feelings hurt if I scold her to harshly.

Have you tossed a tennis ball for yours? My springer just absolutely lives for that ball. In the yard - in the pool - she'll retrieve it until you hate to see the slimey darn thing. That's the only toy she cares about. She is really a pest on rainy days when she doesn't get her play time. See if that perks your's up any.

Good luck. Springers are really super dogs. I honestly can't think of any bad habits or anything I'd change about mine (like I could <G>).

Best,

John

/ Dogs #123  
We've 6 dogs:

* blond female purebred cocker spaniel (got her while engaged) going on 10 years old
* dark tricolor female cocker-terrier mix (rescue)
* small male terrier mix
* male chocolate colored chocolate lab/sharpei mix
* big female great pyrenees
* male puppy maremma-pyrenees mix, born in April and about 55 pounds now - expecting about 100

The pyrenees doesn't trust anything or anyone, the world is out to get her sheep and she is wary wary wary. Not scared mind you, but very wary.

It's ironic that she won't come near me even if I have food, unless there are fireworks, a lot of gunfire, or a nasty loud storm is going and then she comes straight to me - me in particular and I tell her she's a big dog and those mean loud noises can't hurt her as I quietly pet her. She'll find some way (it is a magic trick she won't reveal) to break out of the pastures to come find me when those things happen. We'll say "wow this is some storm...isn't that Valkyrie on the wrong side of the house!?" and sure enough she's just wandering around looking for me. Cougars, coyotes, dogs - oh she's not afraid of that stuff. Loud booming noises? Doesn't like em no sir.

I'll find some pictures of the crew.

/ Dogs
shvl73 said:
We got another last sunday, our 6th! It was from someone I knew. He mentioned he was having problems with the dogs health. I had no idea until I saw him. He's a springer spaniel and was grossly under weight with open sores and some matted scabbed sores all over his body. Nancy gave the guy $5 and said, "He's my dog now, your not getting him back". He's not ready for pictures yet, trying to put some weight on him. She works on his skin twice a day, and has him on a special diet. When he's a little stronger, we'll get him to our vet. For now, we're keeping him separated from our guys. He seemed truly sad and depressed when we got him. He's slowly getting his personality back, just craving human attention.
I'll get some pics of him and post them when he's better.
Looking forward to seeing the pic's when he's ready. I got my four dog's under similar circumstances. Once he knows someone loves and cares about him he'll be back on track. You did a good thing for him and he knows it. He will be a great and appreciative friend.
John

/ Dogs #125  
Westonium said:
The pyrenees doesn't trust anything or anyone, the world is out to get her sheep and she is wary wary wary. Not scared mind you, but very wary.
This hits home. Our young Border Collie is fine with people, and with other dogs...but ANY noise that isn't made by something in her sight is UNDOUBTEDLY made by the grizzly coming to raid her herd. She will bark once or twice, take up a defensive posture between us and the direction she thinks the noise came from, and just go into full alert mode. She will scan (we watch her head move slowly from side to side) the distance (or the door if in the house) for the enemy, and only stands down when we call her to us and tell her "OK". Otherwise she will stay like that for several minutes. If the noise she heard was a person on the porch, when they come in (even if she has never seen them, and they open the door themselves) she goes into her "I love humans and want all the attention I can get from them" mode, so it's pretty clearly her response is based on some belief that a predator made the noise. She is NOT a guard dog (nor do we want her to be).

/ Dogs #126  
Sounds like the best kind of gaurd dog. She does her job and alerts you to things you cant or don't hear and leaves the type of response up to you...