2x6 or 2x4 walls?

/ 2x6 or 2x4 walls? #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Hi folks,

We're starting to gather plans for the house at the farm, and one of our first decisions is to go with either 2x6 or 2x4 for exterior wall framing. This is for middle TN, where there are typically not weather extremes, nor severe wind loads, so I'm not really convinced that the extra cost of the 2x6 framing is justified. Anyone have any good metrics regarding the cost difference and other pros or cons?

- Jay

/ 2x6 or 2x4 walls? #2  
I'm not an expert (by ANY stretch) but... I've heard of using 2x6's where you want to help isolate sound transmission from room X through the walls to room Y.

So, if you're going to do a home theater, you might consider using something like that to help isolate that room from the rest of the house.

As for using it on outside walls, I suppose one could put thicker insulation in there?

Would also give you more room inside the walls for wiring & stuff? (though I guess that's not a major problem anyway?)

The next house that we build WILL have a "sound room" and I'll do everything I can do, at least to that room, to help isolate it from the rest of the house.

Having two monster speakers (see avatar :eek: ) in my house is one thing but if I can have it MY way, our next house will have 5 of those in a HT room and it WILL be something to die for!!

:D

/ 2x6 or 2x4 walls? #3  
Normally homes in the north are 2x6 on the outside for insulation purposes and 2x4 in the inside walls. I added insulation in the inside for noise purposes and not give the walls the "hollow" sound you get when empty.

The cost really might only be a hundred bucks more for the exterior and it's worth it for structure strength and noise help.

/ 2x6 or 2x4 walls? #4  
Afternoon Jay,
Other than what others have added about insulation, another nice feature of 2x6 exterior walls is you can have a nice sized window saddle. They are just great for letting your wife have a showplace for all her nicknacks ! ;) They also look nicer IMO !

/ 2x6 or 2x4 walls? #5  
For me, here in Clarksville TN, the easy to get, ready to use, available at Lowes, HD etc stuff is geared around the 2 X 4 wall. If you go with the 2X6 there will be a bit more trimming and hunting for stuff. Not a big deal, but something to consider.

I like going with the "standards" usually.

And yes, it is all available just not quite as readilly as the 2 x 4 stuff.

/ 2x6 or 2x4 walls? #6  
2x6 for strength and the insulation. No one here builds 2x4 except the guys doing the cheapo build it yourself stuff. All the builders go 2x6.

/ 2x6 or 2x4 walls? #7  
Check your codes. There are some places where 6 in. walls are mandatory.:D

/ 2x6 or 2x4 walls? #8  
I'll would also go with the 2 X 6 walls in todays times, stuff them with insulation and kick back and enjoy your effort on doing it right the first time, at my age I will not be able to build/or have a home built but I would go with the 2 X 6 walls and maybe some inside
It will cost you one time and you will save till ?
do it :)
Jim

/ 2x6 or 2x4 walls? #9  
Jay,

When we built the house we put in 2x6 walls which allowed for more insulation. Origionally we wanted to use ICF's but I knew we where going to put in lots of big windows. Kinda hard to justify the added expense of ICFs when all major rooms are going to have at least one window 6x8. So we compromised and put in 2x6 walls. And this may have been a waste. I think the 2x6 walls allowed us to put in R19ish insulation plus we have one inch of foam on the sheathing which gives us a wall R value of around 25.

The attic is about R40 and is where most energy loss occurs.

The 2x6s are stronger so if a tree hits the house maybe it will help. And the thicker insulation does deaden outside noise.

There is a program called RESFEN that will tell you how much the windows package in the house will cost to heating/cooling the structure. Seems like I had another program that would look at the costs for different R values. There are a bunch of free software out there to do this kind of analysis. Hopefully the RESFEN site will be a good starting point. RESFEN : Software : Resources : Environmental Energy Technologies Division

By the way the numbers produced by RESFEN where danged close to what it costs to cool the house. Since we heat with wood its hard to verify the programs number but the heating cost looks like its in the ball park.

Later,
Dan

/ 2x6 or 2x4 walls? #10  
I'm with the majority on using 2x6es for exterior walls. More space for insulation. You may not need it during winter but more insulation will cut your cooling bills as well and better sound dampening. 2x6 inside walls I'd doubt you'd need.