Electrical wiring challenge

/ Electrical wiring challenge #1  

hitekcountry

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 6100 Kabota L35
I have a shed that is about 225 ft from the house and back some years ago I wanted to run power for outlets and lights in the shed. I wanted the lights on 3 way switches so you could turn on or off either the inside or outside lights from both locations, at the shed or at the house.

So now figuring 225 ft of pipe between the buildings and figure another 10 or so ft more at each end to complete the wiring, which means I need about 250 ft of wire for every wire I need in the pipe. So 2 wires = 500 ft, 4 wires = 1000 ft and 8 wires = 2000 ft of wire. Now obviously I want to minimize the number of wires that I need to run through that long pipe.

What is the least number of wires I need to run in the pipe?

Let's leave the ground wire out of this discussion.

Oh and also no radio/remote control or internet connection or computer anything. Just straight wiring.

/ Electrical wiring challenge #2  
   / Electrical wiring challenge
kennyd said:
You will need three current carrying conductors for a 3-way circuit, LINE, NEUTRAL, and TRAVELER. So with the ground you will need 4 wires total.

At that distance you will probably need 10 awg wire also for a 20 amp circuit because of the distance.

Installing A 3-way Switch With Wiring Diagrams - The Home Improvement Web Directory
So for two 3way lighting circuits and power for outlets and like I said we can leave ground out of the discussion, what is the least number of wires I need to run through the pipe?

/ Electrical wiring challenge #4  
hitekcountry said:
So for two 3way lighting circuits and power for outlets and like I said we can leave ground out of the discussion, what is the least number of wires I need to run through the pipe?

I believe you will have to run two separate lines using 10/3 awg for the three way light services. (this will give you three wires plus a ground in each wire line).

If you want to run outlets you will need another 10/2 awg line for that purpose. All should be a 20 amp circuit.

/ Electrical wiring challenge #5  
It sounds like you have two sets of lights you want on seperate switches both of which will be switched from the house and shed. If that is the case you need 6 wires. Two sets of travelers, a grounded conductor, and a constant feed for the outlets.

Puck

/ Electrical wiring challenge #6  
hitekcountry said:

Then 8 conductors will be needed, plus the Ground which I will NOT "leave out of the discussion"

WayneB said:
I believe you will have to run two separate lines using 10/3 awg for the three way light services. (this will give you three wires plus a ground in each wire line).

If you want to run outlets you will need another 10/2 awg line for that purpose. All should be a 20 amp circuit.

So you're saying the min. number of conductors will be 8 total?

/ Electrical wiring challenge #8  
6 Wires. Check with the inspector, I am not an electrician. I am talking minimum in theory.
1 You need a return wire to go to the shack for both lights and outlets (white wire?).
2 An unswitched hot for your outlets.
3&4 Two wires for your inside light switch (switched hot).
5&6 Two wires for your outside light switch (another switched hot)
Plus one ground wire, not detailed but essential.

PM me and I'll draw it out for you.

Last edited:
   / Electrical wiring challenge #9  
# 10/2 or #12/2 wiring for the shed, Depends on how many outlets & lights (circuits). then run the 3 way wires to the light switches in shed then, from light switches in the shed to house switches

I agree 8 min.

the #10 or 12 will be 2 wires with ground. & the 3 wire (switch wires) will be 3 wires with a ground

kennyd said:
Then 8 conductors will be needed, plus the Ground which I will NOT "leave out of the discussion"
Ok I'm just trying to avoid the confusion, as an example in Wayne's reply you'd add 3 more wires just for ground. Lets just say for this discussion we just want to count conductors.
Or to put it another way lets just say we’re running through metal conduit that provides the ground.

Last edited: