Security 2020 Driveway Informer

/ Security 2020 Driveway Informer #1  

swiftboot

Silver Member
Tractor
long 460, Mahindra 6500 fwd/FEL
Does anyone have any experience with the Security 2020 Driveway Informer listed on the Homesecurity.com website. Need the range and reliability if possible. Have kinda narrowed it down to Dakota reporter or this unit. Thanks for any response.

/ Security 2020 Driveway Informer
Thanks DAle, After the overwhelming response to my query, I have been delayed in replying to you. <bg> I wanted a motion sensing type alert, that would pick up persons walking as well. I did go with the Security 2020. The max distance that I have had it operate it is about 550'. The reciever is a/c in my bedroom, receiving the signal thru three interior walls and one block wall. In addition the transmiter signal is going thru two wooden walls at its location before getting to my house and it's walls. Transmitter operates on one 9 volt bat. The reciever has a counter that keeps up with each time it is activated, however, the receiver tones but sometimes it doesnt count every tone. Not sure what that problem could be but certainly not a big one. I am pleased with the range with the walls that it has to go thru. One day i will take it down the road with no obstructions and see the max range. Thanks

/ Security 2020 Driveway Informer #4  
Did you ever take it down the road? I'm looking for one that will go 1/4 mile.
Thanks.

/ Security 2020 Driveway Informer
Sorry for the tardy report. It worked quite well for a driveway alert. I had my old homeplace (unoccupied) broken into and several keepsake items stolen, so i put it up there as an alert in the future. I caught the vandals inside the house at 2am, they ran out the back door but left their car and burg tools behind. Police arrested car owner the next day and he confessed. Two months later had some things stolen from freezer in my barn about 100 yard behind my house. I put one in the barn and the next nite they came back,,,,,slipped up on them on foot and lighted the barn up with a spotlight. Ordered them outside but no one came out. I eased up to barn window and saw no one and move slightly past the open door as one came running out the barn door with a gun in his hand, i fired three times at him but apparently missed, chased him towards my house and couldnt fire anymore because of the direction of fire. Police came with helos and dogs etc, no joy on the vandal. You woud not believe the adrenaline that pumps each time that alarm goes off, it sounds each time the motion breaks the beam. They left the gate open at the barn during the first robbery of barn, all my cows were out on the road and that could have been disasterous. The old house was hit again during daylite when i wasnt home and they never saw the unit. I would highly recommend it for driveway or a poor-mans burglar alarm. I have three of the units now, each set on a different tone. Quarter mile might be iffy if you had any obstructions, but the one in the old house as described in my first post worked at over an eighth mile. chuck

/ Security 2020 Driveway Informer #6  
Sounds like it's been a good product. I've been thinking about something on my driveway to let me know if somebody is coming in. I can't see them from the house and sometimes don't even know that anybody is here. The biggest problem is that I hear road noise all the time and the sound confuses me with what might be really driving down my driveway. I go outside to see who's here and it's all quiet. I do this all the time.

I was worried about my trees, but for some reason after reading your post, I got to thinking that I don't have to have it at the gate. My driveway is 800 ft long, it could be anywhere along there and I'd get the same results.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Security 2020 Driveway Informer #7  
I really do NOT understand why most of us dont have a system like this. We use the Dakota alert system; but the one you have is totally great also. Have been using the Dakota stuff for 3 years now. Service when needed is great with repair, replacement, updates, and advice.
We have 3 transmitters set for different audio tones for the locations. One is perhaps 800 feet down the road, through the woods, and on the other side of the house from the reciever. Another, is set on another unused by us approach to the property, and the last unit is set up to alert as one approaches the house from the road. THEY WORK and bring peace of mind in the middle of the night when the pasture guard dogs are carrying on about something that I really dont care to find out about.
Anyway, sure beats the alternative of waking up with a muzzle in your face...........God bless........Dennis

/ Security 2020 Driveway Informer #8  
After reading the description of the unit I found this part interesting;
"A chain saw or lawn edger works well to dig a trench about 3 inches deep "
By chain saw I assume they mean the trenchers that have a chain to dig, and not a chain saw as you'd use for wood.
LOL

/ Security 2020 Driveway Informer #9  
I got from Radio Shack three units that crisscross my back yard after someone broke in my sheds. Cheap but I wanted to see if it would work. two years later and I'm glad I got them. Works Doesn't even get the cats that jump the fence.

/ Security 2020 Driveway Informer #10  
i got a dakota alert years ago: it quit working once while in warranty, then again after the warranty was out, an they had changed the design, so they wouldn't repair it: switched to the "reporter: they work just as well, less than half the price an last a "little" longer: i had 4, am down to 2 now: but will buy replacements soon: also bought a dakota alert that uses a line, kinda like the ole service stations had, across the drive: its the best i have ever had: never misses a vehicle, had it at least a couple years, maybe longer, an it really works great: i have tried at least 4 different motion/heat detector type driveway alarms: all of them would miss white cars occasionally. but for the price etc, the reporter seems to be the best..
heehaw