Shoulder Replacement Surgery

/ Shoulder Replacement Surgery #11  
I've had both of my knees replaced. Six months apart - second one a year ago last March. Same experience as everyone else. Used a walker for about a week after the surgery, then a cane for a few weeks and then nothing. Technology of the inserts keeps improving which means they last longer now than they did several years ago - so don't put it off. No reason to be in pain if there's a good alternative - and there is!

I also think the surgeon can make a big difference. The post-op pain/discomfort is not from the artificial knee it's from the trauma they do to all the ligaments getting it in there. So if you have a surgeon who knows his or her stuff your recovery can be shorter.

Also - DO THE PHYSICAL THERAPY! It can be tough but if you "baby" it your recovery will just take longer...

my experience - yours may vary....

WVBill

/ Shoulder Replacement Surgery #12  
Red
Just remember that physical therapy performed in Vermont is twice as productive...just let me know when you'll be here and I'll have the work...oops...I mean PT all ready to go...:D

/ Shoulder Replacement Surgery #13  
I agree that PT is really essential in getting back range of motion and recovery even if I will describe it as pain and torture. I have always followed through on PT (knee and ankle) with good effect. Jay

/ Shoulder Replacement Surgery #14  
PaulChristenson said:
Red
Just remember that physical therapy performed in Vermont is twice as productive...just let me know when you'll be here and I'll have the work...oops...I mean PT all ready to go...:D

Afternoon Paul,
Gee Paul you are a very accomodating fella !!! ;)

Red,
I broke my left leg, tibia plateau fracture, ouch, about 11 or 12 years ago. Yes believe it or not on a dirt bike out in the woods ! :confused: Im totally recovered but they installed the weather package chip in the knee durring repair ! :) I can tell a full day in advance that its going to snow before the weatherman even knows ! :( Hopefully they dont still offer that option ! ;)

/ Shoulder Replacement Surgery #15  
Scotty:

I believed the National Weather Service requires that all surgeons implant the weather package chip during surgery :rolleyes:. I agree that I can also more accurately predict storm fronts prior to the different weather services and I am a full fledge weather geek with a lot of weather equipment at home. I have a lot of consistency between my different "weather receptor sites" :( and storms especially in Winter. Ever since I got my weather equipment around 10 years ago I have been trying to determine the correlations between the different weather criteria and my aches and pains without success. Barometric, temperature, and humidity changes interact in a complex way with weather changes, but my body appears to be a better predictor. Jay

/ Shoulder Replacement Surgery #16  
You old guys crack me up. You need to look into the technology they're using today. You don't even need a surgeon to implant those chips now, they come standard issue. I'm only 30 and I ALWAYS know when it's going to rain.

If the aches and pains keep piling on like they have the past 5 years I'm going to have to move down to Tennessee to be closer to the good medicine distilleries.

/ Shoulder Replacement Surgery #17  
Shawn:

Just you wait :p, the moving to Tennessee (or maybe the Caribbean) is a good idea ;). I am more a martini self-medicator :cool: Jay :D

/ Shoulder Replacement Surgery #18  
I can remember when 30 seemed ancient. I can't believe people still think I'm the 'youngster' at work.

A wife, 2 kids, and a mortgage sure doesn't feel young!

/ Shoulder Replacement Surgery #19  
I've had shoulder surgery on both sides. Hockey related. Actually there is not a joint in your shoulder, its just a meeting place for a lot of ligaments, bones and muscles. My Orthopedic guy called it a "capsule". They removed this with arthroscopic tools (small incisions: one for tools one for camera). Played hockey 2 days later. Range of motion is almost 100% now. Now I can reach into my back pocket to pull out my wallet and also reach for that socket wrench while working under farm equipment and cars.

Sleeping problems from the pain are now a thing of the past. I used to have to go with the linament with cayenne powder in it to get some work done. Once used so much I got 3rd deg burns. Now all that is past. Had 2 knees done, too. Same type of surgery. Big cuts take a long time to heal because they affect so much joint motion and lubrication. Small ones are best: least disruption in the affected area.

/ Shoulder Replacement Surgery #20  
jbrumberg said:
Scotty:

I believed the National Weather Service requires that all surgeons implant the weather package chip during surgery :rolleyes:. I agree that I can also more accurately predict storm fronts prior to the different weather services and I am a full fledge weather geek with a lot of weather equipment at home. I have a lot of consistency between my different "weather receptor sites" :( Jay

Good Evenin Jay,
I attached a pic in this post of all the hardware they pulled out of my leg after the surgery about a year later. For the life of me I cant find the weather chip there anywhere !!! :confused: ;)

Attachments

• hardware.jpg
    hardware.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 140