Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case IH JX95 4x4

Default first year planting oats for winter

Hi all,

I'm planting oats for the first time on 30 acres of pasture land near austin, tx, and have a few questions. I will be discing soon and getting the ground opened, then hopefully I'll using an old grain drill I just bought to bury the seed in the ground. I submitted a soil test, but have yet to see the results, for potential fertilizer application. The field has been fallow for a while, but I've shredded and disced it earlier in the year. I'm planning on buying the seed from a local farm and supply store, but did see a few ads in the local craigslist for oat seed for sale. So my first question is here, are oats seeds just oat seeds and I can buy the best deal, or is there anything I have to look out for? This will be used mainly as winter grass for animals. Secondly, are there any other steps I should take other than discing and drilling seed in? If the grain drill fails can I just spread the seed and disc again? Also, how much seed per acre? Please feel free to pass on any information that you may deem useful for a new farmer like me

Sam

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota/L3400

Default Re: first year planting oats for winter

It depends on what you untend to do with the oats, but from what I hear, oat seeds are not just oat seeds.

A neighbor planted a little oat for his own use, harvested it and threshed it, but the seed still has husks. He is trying to figure out what to do now to dehusk it so he can press it and eat it.

Just today I was talking with another farmer about this and he mentioned that there are varieties of oats that do not have husks. Of course the guy could have planted wheat or rye which also don't have husks, but don't make as good a hot breakfast.
    Kubota L3400, FEL, Backhoe, mower deck, trash fork, box blade, 5x10 dump trailer, Post Hole Digger.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota/L3400

I just checked with google and it is not called a husk (that is what wraps corn). The covering on oats is called a hull, and there are hull-less varieties of oats.

From "The New Book of Whole Grains: More Than 200 Recipes Featuring Whole Grains"
    "Hull-less varieties of oats exist, although since they have never been successful commercially, they may be hard to find. Three such varieties are James, Liberty, and Nakota..."
    Link to google books excerpt of this book
    Kubota L3400, FEL, Backhoe, mower deck, trash fork, box blade, 5x10 dump trailer, Post Hole Digger.

Tractor
    International 1066 with Year Round Cab, Kioti DK 45S with Cab, 451 Loader

Quote Originally Posted by RancherSam
    Hi all,

I'm planting oats for the first time on 30 acres of pasture land near austin, tx, and have a This will be used mainly as winter grass for animals. Secondly, are there any other steps I should take other than discing and drilling seed in? If the grain drill fails can I just spread the seed and disc again? Also, how much seed per acre? Please feel free to pass on any information that you may deem useful for a new farmer like me

Sam
    Sam----Discing and drilling the oats in should work fine. If the drill fails you can broadcast it in with a spreader and then harrow it lightly. For winter grass I would put the oats down fairly heavy so you get a luxurious thick cover. For rye I used approximately 2 bushel per acre, maybe a bit more. Good luck.
    "Land management is an art that builds on history and is based in science." Herb Stoddard Sr.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

Lopezian, Looks like our friend needs an oat roller.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oleozz
    Sam----Discing and drilling the oats in should work fine. If the drill fails you can broadcast it in with a spreader and then harrow it lightly. For winter grass I would put the oats down fairly heavy so you get a luxurious thick cover. For rye I used approximately 2 bushel per acre, maybe a bit more. Good luck.

Oleo,
    You've got to be a little more specific in reference to a bushel.

A bushel of "x" doesn't weigh the same as a bushel of "y"...too many variables. I'm not bashing your logic, I understand it perfectly, but a lot of seed is sold in ___ lb bags...sometimes, not in weights corresponding to a bushel.

Here is a list of some bushel to weight ratio's for various grain/seed : http://www.norganics.com/bushelwgt.pdf
    Last edited by Podunkadunk; 10-25-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Tractor
    International 1066 with Year Round Cab, Kioti DK 45S with Cab, 451 Loader

The Amish that I bought the rye from had a bushel and a half in bags that weighed about 100 lbs. I didn't weigh them but they sure felt that heavy when lifting them into the spreader.
    "Land management is an art that builds on history and is based in science." Herb Stoddard Sr.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oleozz
    The Amish that I bought the rye from had a bushel and a half in bags that weighed about 100 lbs. I didn't weigh them but they sure felt that heavy when lifting them into the spreader.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal then

Tractor
    Kubota L2350, MF 383, Case 450 dozer, Kubota M4050 back hoe

RancherSam,

Follow whatever the soil tests say you should...that would be my number one piece of advice.

I've had pretty good luck with overseeding oats but we have also had very mild winters the last several years. In East Texas, we sometimes get winter kills of oats from freezes and because of that my winter pastures always also have other plants in them including rye and legumes. That way, if the oats is lost, then I'll still have some winter forage.