all metal building vs a pole barn

/ all metal building vs a pole barn #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
I have had 2 pole barns that were my shop and I now have an all metal building and am wondering if I made the right choice. I have a 30 x 30 with metal c channel for beams going across the 30ft. span. The perlins were closer together on my pole barns and the roof seemed stronger when you walked on it. I now feel like I am walking across a mobile home roof. I don't see any give when it is walked across but just feels different. Is this c channel stronger than 2 x4's that are closer together.

/ all metal building vs a pole barn #2  
I built a pole barn in 2004. I would proably build an all steel building if I were to do it all over again. I really like my pole barn and I believe it is a well built building. My BIL just put up an all steel building and when I asked him why he went steel over a pole barn he said you build a pole barn for you and a steel building for your grand kids. He showed me his old pole barn and how the poles are begining to rot out. This is a barn that was built in the mid 1960's. He is going to have to find away to fix it or the building is going to fall down. I am sure that steel buildings are like pole barns. Some are a lot better built then others.