Fast Growing Trees?

/ Fast Growing Trees? #1  

kbarrett

Silver Member
Tractor
Exmark Turf Ranger - TR22KC604
Any experience with <font color=green>Fast Growing Trees</font color=green> for a screen to block an undesireable view (aka Neighbor's junk)?

Came across this the other day, it appears that it may work...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cdr3.com/willow/>http://www.cdr3.com/willow/</A>

Any experience with these?

/ Fast Growing Trees? #2  
stick a chunk of willow in the ground, it will grow...so long as it gets water. you will find along waterways (rivers,creeks,etc) stands of willows where a branch broken off in high water (flood, etc) has stuck in the ground, grown and started a new stand of willows. They will grow fast.

/ Fast Growing Trees? #3  
Kevin,

I have a bit of forestry in by background education. I viewed your attachment. Not familiar with this species. Looks like it grows fast but more important question is the life span of it. How long will this species live and also is it susceptible to wind blown conditions. It reminds me of the Lombardy Popular...these grow fairly quick but spread is not all that great and they die quickly.

Being in Michigan, what I would recommend is the White Pine (Pinus Strobus)...closely spaced together, let's say 6-8' apart. These grow fairly quickly...about 6-8' in about 5-6 years time if planted as 2' transplants. As they mature, they grow together and fill in the gaps between the trees thus forming a nice barrier hedge. Just don't trim off the lower branches as they mature. These lower branches are what will form your screen. However, white pines are susceptible to White Pine Blister Rust...a fungus disease that causes leaders to die off prematurely...other leaders take over though forming what they call 'cabbage pines'. These may not look all that great but the spreading foliage will block your view of the neighbor's. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ Fast Growing Trees? #4  
Not sure about your willows, but ours (Probably from you??) are real keen on getting into drainage pipes etc.

Don't plant them anywhere near pipework. They love watert so much they will seek it out.

Lots of fast growing aussie trees. Little help to you though.

Cheers

PS - Do they grow any Australiam Gums (Eucalypts) over there?

Cheers

/ Fast Growing Trees?
Bob,

My property has various soil properties. Will White Pine do well in heavy soil? I have a friend who has a bazillion white pine on his property, but they are in sandy soil.

He'll give me all the White Pine I want. I may try a few to see how they do.

---

The article on the web claims that the Ameri-Willow will last 70 years. Also, it is a hybrid and supposedly doesn't have a root system that spreads like crazy.

It appears from the neighbor to the east that a Colorado Blue Spruce does quite well in this soil. However, I've heard that they grow slowly.

I actually have a few Cedar trees growing in my open field area. Not sure if that's a good indicator on what an Eastern White Pine will do or not.

Regardless, thank you for endorsing Pinus Strobus I may have to experiment a bit.

/ Fast Growing Trees? #6  
Kevin,

<font color=blue>Will White Pine do well in heavy soil?</font color=blue>

White Pine does well in most soils from clay loam to moderately sandy. It also likes moist soil conditions over dry rocky soil conditions. I have clay-loam and White Pine does great.

<font color=blue>the neighbor to the east that a Colorado Blue Spruce does quite well in this soil. However, I've heard that they grow slowly. </font color=blue>

Colorado Blue Spruce is a very slow grower. You'll likely be a grandfather before you have a decent size tree screen made of Blue Spruce. I wouln't go here.

<font color=blue>I actually have a few Cedar trees growing in my open field area. Not sure if that's a good indicator on what an Eastern White Pine will do or not.</font color=blue>

Cedars grow in same general soil conditions that White Pines grow in....maybe they can tolerate drier conditions better...but I think White Pine will give you the better, fuller screen that you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

Bob

/ Fast Growing Trees? #8  
Kevin,

After I come home from the dealer today to order my 4710, I'm going to do some checking in some old forestry books I have. I think I also have some other possibilities. Keep your eyes on this thread as I think I'll have additional options.

Bob

/ Fast Growing Trees? #9  
Pasture pines for one..willows roots can be top feeders plus there extra raking etc..to keep the grounds clean.

/ Fast Growing Trees? #10  
We planted many white pines 10 years ago. They were only 6" seedlings. They are now 12' to 15' high and very thick.