Property lines

/ Property lines #1  

rgood

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210D
I had some land that needed clearing to install fence - And I knew where the corner locations were - So, I strung a string and used flags to mark the line and did the clearing - A friend of mine is in a similar situation but the distance is greater - The trees and brush are also very thick.

He knows where the corners are but needs help in marking the line because a string won't go through and around all of the trees and brush - How can he mark the boundary without paying a surveryor and without accidentally cutting his neighbor's trees?

/ Property lines #2  
Use property description for direction from point to point and a compass.

/ Property lines #3  
Well you have to get the brush out of the way. If you can't see from corner to corner, you can attempt to lay down lines setting up shorter "Ranges". A "range" is sighting across two known points to determine a third, just like you would line up two fence posts to properly place the third in line. This might help to find a middle point where you can set up two stakes in line and sight both directions across these to see back to the corner markers. Most rental places will have transits for rent which will help with this process, particularly if there are many hills/rises involved as once properly positioned and leveled, you will be able to look up or down along a line accurately. It is harder to line up stakes going up or down a slope unless you can get them in just the right spot. A transit will also allow you to accurately sight back 180 degrees fairly quickly.

/ Property lines #4  
I measured 15 feet in from each corner, to a point where I could see to the other end, and ran a stringline to the 15 foot point. Then anywhere I wanted to know where the line actually was, I just measured 15 feet over and marked it with a stub.
David from jax

/ Property lines #6  
Try a green laser beam after you remove the brush

/ Property lines #7  
woodchuckie said:
Use property description for direction from point to point and a compass.

If you attempt to run it with a compass, be sure you know and apply your local declination. I have run into many cases when a property owner has run their own lines by compass and they are 6-10 degrees off.

If the Line is not too long but goes over a rise, you might try stacking a piece of PVC pipe ( make sure it is not too limber ) or a Surveyors Range Pole at the corners and sighting on that. If you can get two stakes on line then use a plumb bob to line on them and set more stakes. Just make sure you drive your stakes plumb.

Get a quality machette ( Barteaux or Collins quality ) to cut your brush. Push it over a little to put some tension on it and cut downward at approx. 45 degree angle at the base. I like to use a lath to push things over, saves on fingers and keeps briars out of face.

Bruce
RPLS 5781

/ Property lines #8  
As stated set up compass properly.

Then starting from one corner sight with the compass and have the other person place a marker on the line. Move ahead to the marker and repeat till you get to the next corner. :D :D

Would a GPS work?:D

/ Property lines #9  
I used a GPS to set my boundaries. I started by landmarking the front corner, then turned off the meter, went to the back corner turned it back on and landmarked it. The GPS automatically drew a straight line between the two landmarks. I then followed the line back, marking trees as I went.

/ Property lines #10  
firedog said:
I used a GPS to set my boundaries. I started by landmarking the front corner, then turned off the meter, went to the back corner turned it back on and landmarked it. The GPS automatically drew a straight line between the two landmarks. I then followed the line back, marking trees as I went.

Outstanding idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Bob