metal beam roof

/ metal beam roof #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
I have a metal shop building that is 30x30 and the builder wants to take out a small bow in the middle of the building on the roof. He said that he wants to add a center beam which will double the ridge beam,but he has to remove the screws in order to do that. I told him I don't want leaks afterwards. Can you remove screws put them back without leaks. I think if that same hole is screwed into a beam it will be ok. Have any you done this with good results.

/ metal beam roof #2  
mechanic said:
I have a metal shop building that is 30x30 and the builder wants to take out a small bow in the middle of the building on the roof. He said that he wants to add a center beam which will double the ridge beam,but he has to remove the screws in order to do that. I told him I don't want leaks afterwards. Can you remove screws put them back without leaks. I think if that same hole is screwed into a beam it will be ok. Have any you done this with good results.

Just make sure the screw gasket isn't squished upon reinstallation...;)

/ metal beam roof #3  
I would make him use brand new screws and throw away the used ones. The rubber gasket on the screws are what keeps the water out, and they are not designed for repeat use. You might get away with it on a few if you take your time and really pay attention, but the odds are too great that he'll ruin a few of them and not notice it.

Eddie