When is it too late to plant K31 grass

/ When is it too late to plant K31 grass #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
Here in VA we are having pretty warm days (mid 60's and today will be in the 70's) and cool nights.. I aerated and planted grass in october jusst before our big rain and it is now coming up nicely.. Is it too late to plant anymore Kentucky 31?

thanks for the info

Brian

/ When is it too late to plant K31 grass #2  
As a general rule, you need daytime temps to hit at least 72 or so for germination. Then, you need to avoid a frost until all the new shoots harden off (say, another month).

There are always exeptions, but that is a guideline. If it were important to have grass now and wasn't a super large quantity, I would give it a shot.

/ When is it too late to plant K31 grass #3  
I have heard that the best grass is sown under a heavy snowfall, I haven't tried it myself but have heard it many times. I have also heard to sow grass in any month with an "R" in it. Again this is something I have heard and honestly don't know.

/ When is it too late to plant K31 grass
billbill1 said:
I have heard that the best grass is sown under a heavy snowfall, I haven't tried it myself but have heard it many times. I have also heard to sow grass in any month with an "R" in it. Again this is something I have heard and honestly don't know.

HMMM... i thought the R month thing was for oysters.. LOL

I may be too late for the grass then.. We have already had a couple frosts..

It looks like I will just wait until spring time.. The wife will be happier as well, she hates when I aerate - says I make a muddy mess.. I try to tell her - holes = grass no grass = mud next summer I dont think she realizes how a couple weeks of aerator plugs is a small price to pay for grass LOL