Meat Grinders

/ Meat Grinders #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I am going to purchase a meat grinder so I can utilize some of my deer meat to make jerky and summer sausage. Since I won't use it very often, I am leaning toward a manual grinder. As with everthing, there are models that are pretty inexpensive and some that are more costly. I generally go by the "you get what you pay for" rule. I would appreciate some feedback from some of you guys and gals that use grinders. Any particular brands or models that I should either consider or avoid? Any retail or mail order outlets that have good prices? Thanks for your input.

/ Meat Grinders #2  
Hi Tn, I received and email from Cabela's this morning on their Christmas specials they have their heavy duty electric grinders on sale for $49.99thats 50% off. I still have the email if you would like me to forward to you or you can probably just go to their sight, I have one and they work great

/ Meat Grinders
mnbowhunter1960 said:
Hi Tn, I received and email from Cabela's this morning on their Christmas specials they have their heavy duty electric grinders on sale for $49.99thats 50% off. I still have the email if you would like me to forward to you or you can probably just go to their sight, I have one and they work great

Yes I would like you to forward that to me. jerrylehman@bellsouth.net

/ Meat Grinders #6  
If you have one of those big kitchen aid mixers they have a meat grinder attachment for it that works really nice. I lost count of how many critter have gone through mine. The mixer itself is going on 18 years old and the grinder is at least 10 years. It's holding up much better than I ever expected.

/ Meat Grinders #7  
I bought our KitchenAid stand mixer on May 28 of this year (got a "refurbished" one directly from KitchenAid, but if they hadn't said it was refurbished, I wouldn't be able to tell it from a new one), but I only bought the food grinder 9 days ago from Bed, Bath, and Beyond ($49.99 plus tax). I found some "reviews" on the Internet and owners seem to like these food grinders. I've only used ours once just to try it out; one hard boiled egg, some pieces of onion, and a handful of cooked turkey to make myself a couple of turkey salad sandwiches. It handled that little job like it was nothing.

/ Meat Grinders #8  
TNhobbyfarmer said:
I am going to purchase a meat grinder so I can utilize some of my deer meat to make jerky and summer sausage. Since I won't use it very often, I am leaning toward a manual grinder. As with everthing, there are models that are pretty inexpensive and some that are more costly. I generally go by the "you get what you pay for" rule. I would appreciate some feedback from some of you guys and gals that use grinders. Any particular brands or models that I should either consider or avoid? Any retail or mail order outlets that have good prices? Thanks for your input.
If you are only going to grind one deer or part of one for jerky and sausage you'll be fine with a manual grinder. My garage usually turns into a deer processing station here since I hunt with my best friend, my son, grandson, and a couple other friends. Between 7 of us we usually fill 5 or more tags so a few years ago I bought a 1/2HP model #8 electric grinder from Cabelas and a 17# hand mixer from Gander Mt. We usually make a day of it for the processing, mixing in the proper amount of beef or pork fat and seasonings and double grinding the meat. Then place it in 1lb freezer bags. Our steaks are usually gone about the time we make the hamburg and sausage. My grinder has paid for itself many times over in what we used to pay to have it processed. Cabela's, Dick's, and Gander Mt. are the big stores in my area so thats where we go. I really can't help with a manual grinder but any of those stores online should have listings for what you need.

/ Meat Grinders #9  
WTA said:
If you have one of those big kitchen aid mixers they have a meat grinder attachment for it that works really nice. I lost count of how many critter have gone through mine. The mixer itself is going on 18 years old and the grinder is at least 10 years. It's holding up much better than I ever expected.
I have a 7.5 hp commercial for the big jobs. I use the Kitchen Aid for up to 30 lbs of meat, no problems.

/ Meat Grinders #10  
When I was a kid we had a manual meat grinder that we used for deer, elk etc. Best thing that ever happened was my mom's mixer died and she got a new KitchenAide with a meat grinder attachment ;)

Actually the manual one was not bad if you had a good solid place to clamp it to.

Charles