Cell phones in the country

/ Cell phones in the country #1  

Bigk56

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota L4350
I'm going to be able to upgrade my cell phone next month. I just wanted to know what cell phone yall like best for use and durability around the farm.
thanks, Ken

/ Cell phones in the country #2  
we saw my son over tg'ing and he has an LG (a flimsy looking one at that)and he uses it as a bottle opener and it still works.
i have an LG also and its held up well for more than a year now. I carry it around with me in the pocket of my cargoes and its gets banged up pretty good and keeps on ticking.

/ Cell phones in the country #3  
I've a Motorola Razor which is a great phone...if you live in the city or suburbs. It's not so great for rural areas (no pull out antenna).
Motorola phone with pull out antennas are pretty good (had a few) in the rural area. They take quite a beating.

/ Cell phones in the country #4  
I've got one of the military grade motorollas but it's on nextel service. It sucks around my farm. It only works in one particular spot inside the house too. They just don't have good service coverage out here.
The phone is tough as nails though. It's fallen off my horse a few times and got slammed between me and the dirt way too many times when I got tossed off of a horse.

/ Cell phones in the country #5  
I've got a Motorola flip phone, but not a Razor model. It's done very well for over two years now, and it has no pull out antenna. We're out in the country and very seldom do we have any coverage problems. Much of it has to do with your carrier though and not especially with your phone alone. We have Cingular/AT&T as our carrier and the coverage we get seems to be the best out there. Even on trips like when I'm up at the cabin in Colorado, other clients have problems, but those of us with Cingular coverage can get out just fine.

/ Cell phones in the country #6  
I got my Motorola V551 on 8/11/05 from Cingular (now AT&T). I don't use it much, but I do carry it all the time when away from home and I haven't noticed any place that it wouldn't work. The battery died once and I checked prices of batteries on the Internet; figured that would be cheaper than buying from Cingular, but then decided it would be worth paying more to get a new battery immediately, so I stopped at the Cingular office. The lady checked the battery, determined it needed replacing, put a new one in it, and handed it back to me . . . NO CHARGE!

/ Cell phones in the country #7  
In many country areas the phone service is still analog. This means you should be looking for a phone that is called tri-mode or at least digit/analog. The selection is pretty limited as all of the cool phones are typically just digital.

For example the Motorola Razor is just a digitial phone; personally I wish I could have bought that phone, its to the light and about the right size.

When I was looking I did not find negative comments about any of the brands.

The new phones seem to have less strength as compared to the older phones.

So I would try to find different trimode phones and then pick the one that seems to work. The flip phones seem to be better for active people as you seem to close all of the stuff that is easily damaged.

Garth

/ Cell phones in the country #8  
It might be wise to first find out who has the best service in the area you are at. around here itis verizion, which means many many phone choices, others like nextel have limited phone choices in compairson... anyhow I had & still have samsung phones. my OLD one went into the creek 2 times the toilet 2 times and ran all way through the washing machine! had to only dry it out & pulled battery off as fast as possable. it also fell more than 20' on at least 2 different times once bouncing down a flight of stairs. it finally dies when I had it clipped to the pocket and twisted in the shed causing it top open up and dropped face down open on the concrete followed quickly by my boot as I turned & stepped on it :( it was almost 4 yrs old and still battery life was 4~6 days between charging. (I didn't talk on it a lot & shut it off when sleeping to avoid getting woken up) the NEW samsungs are the first gen antenna less ones and battery life is no where as good but they also have a camera and are smaller in size battery wise. so far it has lasted 6 months and been dropped aww a few times :( the camera phones are more prone to damage and are also more expensive... This model is pre blue tooth and that is something I didn't think I wanted to spring extra for anyhow.

anyhow we bought a samsung camera since the phones were so good and are very happy with it battery life and pic quality wise so far.

anyhow she had several other brands of phones that didn't perform nearly as well sound/signal quality wise in our area and 2 broke under her LIGHT use (stayed in purse most of time...) I do not remember those brands.

mark M

/ Cell phones in the country #9  
Don't let analog service play too big a part in your choice, after Feb 18 2008 carriers will be able to turn off analog service per FCC rules and some will. Analog was only on the original two 800MHz licensees in each market, the multiple 1.9GHz licenses never had analog anyway. Personally I like my Motorola E815, one of the best phones I've ever had, mine is CDMA don't know if it is available in a GSM or TDMA version for the carriers that use those formats.

/ Cell phones in the country #10  
Live in real rural area and have had Sony, LG, Nokia,and Motorola, of the three, I like Motorola the best, I like the Razr because it is thin and with it on my belt, I don't hang it on things like I did with the thicker phones. I switched to the flip phone mainly because I kept bumping the #s and calling people by accident.