Disposing of old wood construction material

/ Disposing of old wood construction material #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I have some piles of plywood decking, wood siding and even some trusses that have been sitting outside, exposed for 10 years. They were torn off during a major remodeling. My good intentions were to reuse them for an outbuilding. It never happened. I'm thinking they are beyond use and I need to get rid of them.
The simplest way would be to burn them. The wood still has nails and other metal hardware attached. I'm considering digging a burn pit, so I won't have to worry about flat tires. Just cover the whole thing up when I'm finished.
Anyone have a better idea?
Thanks

/ Disposing of old wood construction material #2  
Hey Barry, around here we can burn with a permit during the three seasons and if there is snow on the ground no permit. We can also take it to the disposal center, but they charge by the amount you bring in.

The idea of digging a burn pit sounds like a good approach though

Wayne

/ Disposing of old wood construction material #3  
Bury it deep. The nails may work their way to the surface over the years. Not sure how but rocks have a way of doing it so I would think nails would too.

/ Disposing of old wood construction material #4  
If there is anything worth useing put an add in the paper or sign at the road. Otherwise your burn pit idea sounds good.

/ Disposing of old wood construction material #5  
Dig a burn pit like you mentioned and after the fire is out and things have cooled off try to clean up the nails before you bury the pit. This way the majority of the nails will be out of the ground and no longer an issue. A pair of gloves and a cheap magnet from Home Depot or TSC will go a long way in helping with the clean up and be a lot cheaper then repairing a tire. Any nails you do miss that is mixed in with ash or stuck in the dirt will be buried and hopefully not a problem.

Of course the nail you miss will be the one that comes out of the ground anyway:rolleyes:

What I have done in the past is burn right on the ground and then when the fire is over scrape off the top inch or two with all the nails and other garbage. I have a spot that I dump rocks and such things like this since I can not drive thru the area anyway. Then I just bring in some topsoil from one of my piles and fill the area back up.

/ Disposing of old wood construction material #6  
Magnet in a plastic bag, on a string to pick up the nails. The bag is to make it easy to clean them off the magnet.
David from jax

/ Disposing of old wood construction material #7  
Tig said:
If there is anything worth useing put an add in the paper or sign at the road. Otherwise your burn pit idea sounds good.

Put it out by the road with a price on it. Someone will then steal it.

/ Disposing of old wood construction material #8  
I have one of these magnets-its been useful getting screws from behind equipment and picking up stray nails -I loaned it to a friend and he cleaned up nails from the perimeter of his new house-just dragged it around with a string-but they also sell a long-handles one. Pull the handle and metal drops free.
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

/ Disposing of old wood construction material #9  
I would do as Robert described. Use the magnet. I did not realize the nails would work their way back up after being buried. I suppose with the ground freezing and thawing up north it's a bigger problem than in the south.

/ Disposing of old wood construction material
Robert_in_NY said:
Dig a burn pit like you mentioned and after the fire is out and things have cooled off try to clean up the nails before you bury the pit. This way the majority of the nails will be out of the ground and no longer an issue. A pair of gloves and a cheap magnet from Home Depot or TSC will go a long way in helping with the clean up and be a lot cheaper then repairing a tire. Any nails you do miss that is mixed in with ash or stuck in the dirt will be buried and hopefully not a problem.

Of course the nail you miss will be the one that comes out of the ground anyway:rolleyes:

What I have done in the past is burn right on the ground and then when the fire is over scrape off the top inch or two with all the nails and other garbage. I have a spot that I dump rocks and such things like this since I can not drive thru the area anyway. Then I just bring in some topsoil from one of my piles and fill the area back up.
Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll follow Robert's plan. I'm also going to see if there is anything useable and will try to find a taker. With the price of wood, I hate to burn any thing that might be of use to someone.
The down side is I started thinking "if a few of those tursses are still good, maybe I could build a small shed...":)