About to shoot my computer!

/ About to shoot my computer! #1  

WTA

Platinum Member
About a month ago the hard drive in my dell desktop died and it really screwed us up with the business. I can't even say how ticked I was over that. I was able to recover much of the data myself but lost all my pictures and emails from the last two years.
I have had this computer a little over 2 years so I didn't figure it was under warranty anymore and last week I was going to destroy the hard drive and junk the rest. Then out of the blue the Dell warranty department called and asked if I wanted to extend my warranty.

That was awfully suspicious calling like that right after it died and I was about to trash it. I asked them though if it was still under warranty and they said yes until the end of December so I got them to send me a new hard drive and I fixed it last Monday. I installed the new drive and got everything reinstalled and all was great till this morning. I turned it on about 7 AM and it shut itself off about halfway through the boot up. It also had a orange flashing light. The power supply fan was making a god awful noise too. I shut it off and tried to restart it about a dozen times and it kept doing the same thing.

I finally called Dell again and can you believe it I got an American on the phone. He was super helpful and we went through the diagnostic routine. We talked for close to an hour checking things. It sounded like we had it narrowed down to a power supply going bad. The service rep said to leave it on for an hour and he'd call back then we would check one more thing.

I stepped outside for 2 seconds and missed his call. That was stupid! I called them back and got some foreigner that wanted me to go through all the same stuff again and a whole bunch of stupid stuff that had no relation whatsoever to the problem. He kept trying to blame it on a software problem when I told him it was the power supply. I told him the best I could in my finest Indian accent anyway. I finally gave up on that one. I called again and asked for the person I talked to the first time and got another foreigner who said he could not put me through to him but he could help.
More of the same junk again. This one I hung up on when he refused to listen to me. He told me to unplug the power supply and I did then plugged it back in and turned it on. It worked so he said it must be fixed and I'll close the case now.
Wrong. It wasn't fixed. I looked at the pins on that plug and they were fine. Plus a loose plug won't make the fan sound like a Chevy with a blown cylinder.

I tried calling again and asking for the first guy again and this guy was so bad with his English I hung up after his first couple sentences.

I am so fed up! I think I'm just going to take it out back and use it for target practice. I wasted 2/3 of my day talking to foreigners when I had a ton of work I could have been doing in the shop.
I'm building my next computer myself!

Why is it so hard to talk to a nice American when things break?

/ About to shoot my computer! #2  
Need some shells?
David from jax

/ About to shoot my computer!
Maybe some advice on which type or caliber to be most effective and put it down quickly.
I was thinking about a 50 cal at close range. I have an M2 coming in next week I think to reparkerize and you know I'm going to have to test fire that one!

/ About to shoot my computer! #4  
You can still get files off your old hard drive if it hasn't been damaged too bad, so don't destroy it. I lost some sectors on mine once and was able to hook it up as a slave drive and get all the important files off of it. If you have a business, you may want to look into getting a portable back-up hard drive or something.

/ About to shoot my computer! #5  
My old Dell is 6 years old, and I've spent a few hours on the phone in the past with Dell's tech support, so I can well understand your frustration. I'm not going to build my own computer, but I hope to buy my next one from someone who provides live human support locally; not via telephone.

And since you were able to log onto Tractorbynet, I assume you have a second computer handy???:D

/ About to shoot my computer!
No, I'm on the one that is acting up right now. I was just poking around inside it with the power on. Sounds smart huh?
Anyway, I was thinking about a problem GM has had for years with cold solder joints and got to thinking mine meses up worst when it's cold. The power supply fan making racket and shutting off unexpectedly.
I went all over the mother board with a probe wiggling connections and didn't find anything so I started wiggling around the power supply. Didn't find anything loose there. Then I just touched the side of the power supply and it shut off. There sure is something loose inside it. I'm not going to open that up.
Another foreigner at Dell, this one actually very nice and helpfull, just called me back about the problem and he asked me to check a few things but we couldn't duplicate the problem again so he said he'd call back tomorrow morning so I can turn it on while we talk. I just discovered this after we had hung up the phone so maybe that will tell him something that can help fix it.

I really don't mind talking to a person in another country as long as they know what they are talking about and they are fluent in my language. I liked that last guy. I sure hate it though when I buy a supposedly american made product and then have to talk to someone I can't understand in another country when it breaks. I've lived in 3 different countries in my life and visited more countries than most people have read about. I used to be very understanding and tolerant of language barriers untill this outsourcing technical services junk started. The public schools around here forcing my kid to learn spanish and not even offering other foreign languages helped turn me too. That should be illegal in MY country.
We had a house full of foreigners last Saturday night. 20 or so of them. We're hosting an exchange student from Germany and we had a party here for all the other ones in the area. I'm really not anti foreigner.

/ About to shoot my computer! #7  
when i first got a dell laptop some years back after a while it would overheat and then turn itself off. so i sent it back to dell to get it fixed. they misplaced it. i posted about it on the dell forum and a dell employee that oversees the forum arranged for me to get a new one to replace the one they lost...this is the laptop i use now. so you may want to try that forum. i was polite and did not post anything negative. just asked for help.
in addition to that i sent a letter to Michael Dell expressing my disappointment in the quality of their product and how I feel like I should contact the BBB. i received a phone call from someone from his office but by then i had received the replacement.
when i sent the first one back i kept the HD. it is the HD i have been using and i took out the one that came with this laptop and use it for backup.

/ About to shoot my computer! #8  
A friend had a small business(wrote a software engineering journal). He replaced HD's yearly. The price of the drive was small compared to loss of data from an older HD crashing.

Can you RAID your system? If so, you could mirror raid it, so you always have an exact copy HD in the system.

/ About to shoot my computer! #9  
I had that problem once,so being as I'm smarter then the average bear I sent an e-mail,damned if the guy didn't write the same way he talked.

/ About to shoot my computer! #10  
The ony brand name computer I've ever owned was a state of the art 386 w/math coprocessor..that was a while back.:eek:

I used to keep up with all the technology and built most of my machines. The last few years I quite keeping up with the tech stuff so now I rely on some "gamers" to keep me going. There are some kids that opened an Internet gaming cafe in town and they keep the doors open selling parts and service, at very reasonable rates (ie..cheaper than Best Buy). They are pretty sharp and know all the latest upgrades.

Is there such a business near you, might be a local source that could provide you a reliable service.