Northeast Storm coming?

/ Northeast Storm coming? #1  

ByronBob

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 BX2230
I know a lot of people have had it bad with the ice in the country but the weather men around here have been mentioning around here that a good old fashioned snowstorm might be a coming.

My RMSB purchase is looking all the better as the days come closer to the big one.

Getting diesel, gas for the generator and groceries just in case. I love winter in WNY.

/ Northeast Storm coming? #2  
I love a good snowstorm. Right now we are borderline as to whether it is snow or mix. I would much rather have snow. I've gotten so, I just take leave and don't go to work when it snows because too many idiots on the road. I just enjoy the snow with the kids. Let's keep our fingers crossed on a nice safe snow!!!
I think you guys in NY are pretty much guaranteed a nice snow from the reports I saw on TV.

/ Northeast Storm coming?
KubotaSteve said:
I love a good snowstorm. Right now we are borderline as to whether it is snow or mix. I would much rather have snow. I've gotten so, I just take leave and don't go to work when it snows because too many idiots on the road. I just enjoy the snow with the kids. Let's keep our fingers crossed on a nice safe snow!!!
I think you guys in NY are pretty much guaranteed a nice snow from the reports I saw on TV.

I cancelled a trip to Baltimore this weekend to visit my wife's family. If it doesn't snow in WNY, I'm going to have to sleep out in the truck.

/ Northeast Storm coming? #4  
IMHO there is a classic noreaster coming this weekend, Saturday night into Sunday. Alot of weather elements are coming together for this weather event. I have been all over it since the the Japanese global weather model brought it to light last week. I have been talking about it somewhere else. Jay

/ Northeast Storm coming? #5  
I also love the big snow storms. My wife thinks I am nuts because it is a tremenous amount of work for me though. We live at 3,000ft on a farm with a 2.5 mile driveway up over the mountain. She thinks it is "Work" to plow the snow but I don't tell her that is is a whole lot of fun plowing..

It is also fun to just play in the snow with my two little girls. They always see the fun in everything and never the doom and gloom. Oh, to be young again.
A few years back we got 53" on Presidents day and I didn't think that was that much fun though. Too much of a good thing i guess

/ Northeast Storm coming? #6  
ByronBob said:
I cancelled a trip to Baltimore this weekend to visit my wife's family. If it doesn't snow in WNY, I'm going to have to sleep out in the truck.

I think you will get to stay in the house. I work in DC and that is where our news is out of (DC & Baltimore) and they said that it is going to be a nasty mix of freezing rain, snow and just plain rain switching back and forth. And of course in those areas, any kind of weather wreaks havoc.

/ Northeast Storm coming?
KubotaSteve said:
I think you will get to stay in the house. I work in DC and that is where our news is out of (DC & Baltimore) and they said that it is going to be a nasty mix of freezing rain, snow and just plain rain switching back and forth. And of course in those areas, any kind of weather wreaks havoc.

I agree. I'm staying in the house as the weather man is talking about 1 to 2 feet around our house. My wife's eyes bulged out when looked at her.

She's glad she married me. She just won't admit it to me =)

/ Northeast Storm coming? #8  
ByronBob said:
I agree. I'm staying in the house as the weather man is talking about 1 to 2 feet around our house. My wife's eyes bulged out when looked at her.

She's glad she married me. She just won't admit it to me =)

Darn 1 to 2 feet! We haven't gotten those numbers, saying over 6 inches here, but you know the weather guys I think I will wait and see. Yesterday they said 3 - 5 inches and I had nearly a foot here, but it was light and easy to manage

/ Northeast Storm coming? #9  
Interesting that i can't seem to find a nailed-down snow amount for tomorrow. Look at 3 different news stations, get 3 different predictions. I guess i should plan on close to a foot, maybe with some freezing rain to boot??!! Well, my tractor with blower is fueled up and (hopefully) all ready to go. I did a little grocery shopping today, and have no plans / need to go anywhere tomorrow. Little Honda generator is ready to go just incase. Guess we'll see what happens come tomorrow !!!

/ Northeast Storm coming? #10  
My local news channel (WMUR 9) is saying 10" +/- by 10am and then it turns to an icy mix and gets messy. I went out today and topped off the plow truck with 30 gallons of diesel @ $3.599/gal :eek:, 4k lbs of dirt for sanding, 5 gallons of diesel in the tractor just in case, and plenty of food.

It may sound odd, but we look forward to big storms that might cause major power outages. It's times like that where we get our money's worth, since 2 years ago we had a Winco 12k watt, 24hp Honda propane powered standby generator installed. In the winter, it pays for itself and then some. Every week at what day and time I specify, the generator starts up and runs for 15 minutes to cycle. It also has a built-in oil heater and trickle charger for the battery. In the house is a seperate switch that automatically starts the generator when the power is out for more than 20 seconds and switches from line power to generator power. When the power comes back, it switches back to line power so fast the lights don't even blink. It then lets the generator cool down and shut off.

In the two years we have had it, we've only gone through 20% of our 500 gal propane tank. With all the power outages and cycling every week, 100 gallons of propane is incredibly efficient. There is nothing like taking a hot shower, with the heat on, washer/dryer going, pizza in the oven, dishwasher on, and watching a movie on the TV while everyone else is lighting candles and melting snow for water.