wood stove in shop

/ wood stove in shop #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
A question to all that have put in your own stove. It is for my metal building so there is no wood to catch on fire. The insulation is a vinyl back fiberglass. MY idea is to go up the wall and then cut a hole to run a pipe out then up the wall again. I haven't measured yet so I don' know the lengths yet. I will put the stove probably 18 to 24 inches out from the wall then out and up the wall again. You have plans for this.

/ wood stove in shop #2  
I guess I don't know what your question is.... Here are some suggestions:

- Run the pipe vertical all the way out the roof. The more pipe you have in the shop the better since the interior pipe can be cheaper stove pipe until you poke through a ceiling, roof, or wall. Then it has to be expensive class A. Vertical runs are always superior in draft. Interior pipe runs stay warm which results in better draft. Better draft is very important.

- The single wall interior stove pipe needs to be 16 or 18" from the wall. Yes, your vinyl and even the fiberglass are considered combustible.

- The fumes from the solvent tank or gasoline tanks are why your building codes prohibit stoves in the garage. It would be a good idea to elevate the stove 18" just like a gas water heater and also to utilize the outside air connection so that the stove takes and burns air from outdoors.