Biodiesel burner

/ Biodiesel burner #1  

Trainer

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 220-4
Anyone have information about a home heating unit that burns biodiesel. I am going to build a house and investigating heating sources. Not sure how much it will cost to make my own biodiesel.

/ Biodiesel burner #3  
Home heating oil being the same as #2 diesel fuel and #2 diesel fuel being the same as biosdiesel would lead me to conclude that any HHO burning heat system could easily be adapted to burn biodiesel.

If you really want to burn biodiesel for heat that's great with the side benefit of being able to supplement with petroleum diesel in the event that the biodiesel operation gives you fits.

/ Biodiesel burner #4  
Highbeam said:
Home heating oil being the same as #2 diesel fuel and #2 diesel fuel being the same as biosdiesel would lead me to conclude that any HHO burning heat system could easily be adapted to burn biodiesel.
If you really want to burn biodiesel for heat that's great with the side benefit of being able to supplement with petroleum diesel in the event that the biodiesel operation gives you fits.

Correct. Just be certain your furnace or heater will burn #2 - some require #1.
I am a big biodiesel fan but do not think making biodiesel for your probable amount of oil consumption will pan out to be cost or labor effective (although future prices might be a sincere concern).

Biodiesel & SVO Forums - Powered by eve community
will give you more information than you will be able to digest in several weeks of full time examination.

Rosie

/ Biodiesel burner #5  
Thinking outside the box - Since the raw material input for biodiesel already contains the btu's, why not burn it in a pellet heater or something and skip the processing?

/ Biodiesel burner #6  
I would skip the bio step and if you had a source for vegy oil, just burn that.
it may need an imersion heater and filter but that way you dont have to mess with any chemicals.

/ Biodiesel burner #7  
forgeblast said:
I would skip the bio step and if you had a source for vegy oil, just burn that.
it may need an imersion heater and filter but that way you dont have to mess with any chemicals.

By tomorrow (Wed the 26th) I will post a link to an extremely interesting group of messages by an Oklahoma farmer that blends sunflower seed oil and uses it in his diesel engines. Sounds too good to be true but the pictures, data, explanations, and stories are all very reasonable.

Rosie

/ Biodiesel burner #8  
The link I promised is Bio-Diesel: Farm Grown Profit Primarily an alternative fuel for diesel engines.

#2 heating oil is identical with #2 diesel oil - for all practical purposes.

If I had an oil burning stove or furnace, that would be my choice of fuels.

Rosie

/ Biodiesel burner #9  
how does the cost of heating oil and diesel compare? i always "thought" heating oil was a lot cheaper?
heehaw