Septic System

/ Septic System #1  

DIRTCUTTER

Silver Member
Tractor
CK30 HST
I am located in Northern Calif. Because of the strom I was without power for three days,this afternoon I got power back. My question is this,my alarms on my septic system went off, I have a sand fillter system. I pushed the buttons to shut them off, do I need to check for anything else in the system.

/ Septic System #4  
What exactly do the alarms monitor? Do you have a collect/eject tank? Since most sand filters are above ground, you flush into a septic setteling tank. The fluid(minus most all the solids) that would normally leave this tank to go into a drainfield flows into a holding tank. when it gets full, the liquid is pumped up and into the sand filter to percolate any small remaining solids and allow time to break down any bacteria into the sand before the water returns to earth. A high level alarm is sometimes added to alert you to a pump problem in this outflow tank. If your pump was without power for several days, the tank high level alarm could be what was activated, or the pump may have tripped with unusual power fluctuations and may need it's controller/breaker reset.

/ Septic System #5  
DIRTCUTTER said:
I am located in Northern Calif. Because of the strom I was without power for three days,this afternoon I got power back. My question is this,my alarms on my septic system went off, I have a sand fillter system. I pushed the buttons to shut them off, do I need to check for anything else in the system.

I suspect you have a sand mound as we do here in Pa. If you do, this is common when power goes out. There is a pump in your septic tank that pumps the fluids out to a sandy leech field. When you lose power, the pump don't pump. The alarm going off is a high water alarm. Just a safety in case the pump doesn't work, the tank doesn't overflow. There should also be a light on the box with the alarm for high water, make sure the light is out. I suspect the button you pushed was the alarm silence button. Turn the audible alarm back on. You should be okay now.

/ Septic System #6  
If you have a 2nd tank to pump from to the field or mound and the pump
is in the tank; the pump may have drowned and needs to be given some
attention or replaced. Just a thought. Mine is in the tank. Don't put water
in the system when there is no power to pump.

/ Septic System #7  
Wayne County Hose said:
I suspect you have a sand mound as we do here in Pa. If you do, this is common when power goes out. There is a pump in your septic tank that pumps the fluids out to a sandy leech field. When you lose power, the pump don't pump. The alarm going off is a high water alarm. Just a safety in case the pump doesn't work, the tank doesn't overflow. There should also be a light on the box with the alarm for high water, make sure the light is out. I suspect the button you pushed was the alarm silence button. Turn the audible alarm back on. You should be okay now.
i agree with Wayne, my system has a pump in the 3rd chamber but doesn't have an alarm. You could always get the old shovel out and see how it looks.

You say you are new to this [septic] We don't know how old your place is but have you had your system pumped out yet???????????????? This is really important and there are a few factors involved like how many people use it? what about before you bought the place? When was it pumped out last?

Your system should be done anywhere from 2-4 years.

Shane

/ Septic System #8  
DIRTCUTTER said:
I have a pump and sand mound system too, if you have the mound and not an above ground sandfilter tank. Both designs are similar in operation. I agree that it is likely just the high-water alarm/s that triggered when the power came back on and likely no damage was done. Use the "manual" switch to pump it out if you don't want to wait for the automatic cycle on/off to empty it.

On these systems the pump is always under water in the last septic chamber, before it pumps out to the sand filter or mound for settling. I just replaced mine after ten years.

That was a heckuva storm you had there in N.Cal! When it passed by here offshore on its way to you, the barometer went down to 29.01. Closer to the equator that usually equals Hurricane!

/ Septic System #9  
RexB said:
That was a heckuva storm you had there in N.Cal! When it passed by here offshore on its way to you, the barometer went down to 29.01. Closer to the equator that usually equals Hurricane!

Ain't that the truth!

Here in the Santa Cruz Mtns, I got 13 in of rain in about 1 1/2 days. Power
was out long enough to have to run generator. Winds were strong enough to
blow over semis on bridges.

/ Septic System #10  
RexB said:
I have a pump and sand mound system too, if you have the mound and not an above ground sandfilter tank. Both designs are similar in operation. I agree that it is likely just the high-water alarm/s that triggered when the power came back on and likely no damage was done. Use the "manual" switch to pump it out if you don't want to wait for the automatic cycle on/off to empty it.

On these systems the pump is always under water in the last septic chamber, before it pumps out to the sand filter or mound for settling. I just replaced mine after ten years.

That is similar to what I have, which is a pump-up system from Orenco. The
hi water alarm in the holding tank will go off after a long power outage. My
pump is in a vault, within a 1500 gal holding tank. The pump is a submersible,
just like in my well. I am not looking fwd to replacing it as it is over $500.