Farm Kids at work-Pics

/ Farm Kids at work-Pics #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
Here are some pictures I took last weekend on my B-I-L's ranch in South Carolina. I have a cabin on some property next to his farm so I'm down there with my family most weekends. My B-I-L has three daughters. The youngest and the oldest are two of his best farm hands.....well, outside of his wife, they are his only farm hands....except when my daughter is there. My nieces can outwork most men I know. They ride as well as most cowboys and have been driving the jeeps, trucks and tractors on the farm since they were tiny. The oldest is in college now studying animal sciences and hopes to come back and run the farm. She's about 19 and was home for the holidays. The other niece is 14.

My daughter has grown up in the suburbs but is down on the farm as often as she can. She has a horse that we keep down there on the farm. She absolutely loves the work and is getting good at it. My B-I-L calls for her to come help whenever he is working cows or even working the fences. She rides very well and is a big help to him when moving herds.

In these pictures the girls are finding the newborn calves, checking them over, tagging them and then moving the calf and its cow out of the field with the expectant cows. They also castrate the male calves.

Here they are recording info about a calf and its cow. My daughter is the blonde:

dsc4270rd2.jpg

Here they are tagging and giving growth hormone to a calf as mom looks on:

dsc4276oj8.jpg

Here is how they get the calf and its mom into the next field:

dsc4300yd7.jpg

/ Farm Kids at work-Pics
Here are a few more. This is how they weigh them. Mom is watching from up on the hill:

dsc4306gt2.jpg

Here they are after making a brand new steer. (They seem very pleased with themselves:eek: ):

dsc4337fr0.jpg

Finally, here is an action shot of sorts. In this pic, the cow is bearing down on them pretty fast. My B-I-L has spent years getting his cows to be very tame but when messing with a newborn calf even a tame mom can get pretty upset. I've seen all of these girls and my B-I-L get knocked around pretty good by an angry mom and it has happened to me before too. In this picture my daughter is handing my youngest niece a piece if axe handle used to keep the mom off. A rap across the nose usually does the trick. You might note that the intrepid photographer (me) has his back to the charging mom. Fortunately she pulled up short. There were a couple of close calls later but no one got run over!

dsc4321zv9.jpg

/ Farm Kids at work-Pics #3  
That 'calf transporter' is pretty cool!

/ Farm Kids at work-Pics #4  
Great pictures!

If any young cowboys were to give these cowgirls a hard time........I'm thinking the cowboys just might end up on the ground, hog tied. :D

Don

/ Farm Kids at work-Pics #5  
TBDonnelly said:
Great pictures!

If any young cowboys were to give these cowgirls a hard time........I'm thinking the cowboys just might end up on the ground, hog tied. :D

Don

With a rap across the nose from an axe handle

/ Farm Kids at work-Pics #6  
George,

I know from other posts you are an accomplished photographer, but I was so sure I could stick my hand in those pictures, I knocked the monitor on the floor! Great thread and great experiences for those beautiful ladies.

Thanks for sharing.

/ Farm Kids at work-Pics #7  
TBDonnelly said:
Great pictures!

Don

Or they could end up as "cowsteers" instead of cowboys! Yikes!!

/ Farm Kids at work-Pics #9  
Great pics.

As I have said before about those girls, I hope they know how good they got it. :D They are mightly lucky to be able to work on a ranch. Not many kids get the experience anymore.

Photo/Video as much as you can so they and their children can look back at today in the future.

Later,
Dan

/ Farm Kids at work-Pics #10  
N80 said:
Here they are after making a brand new steer. (They seem very pleased with themselves:eek: ):
dsc4337fr0.jpg

Should we be teaching this to young women?
I married a farm girl, they're the best.