Sheep Shelter

/ Sheep Shelter #1  

ctpres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400HST
Starting a sheep shelter today. Lots of conflicting info on www. Will be about 10 X 10 with tin on roof and three sides. This is for SE Texas so cold is not a real problem. Questions. What to do with fourth/open side? Do I need to add some kind of internal plywood wall or maybe horiz. boards to protect sheep from metal or maybe metal from sheep? Should three side walls go al the way up or leave space for ventelation? Any ideas comments appreciated.

/ Sheep Shelter #2  
I raise goats and they like to knock each other around. Don't know if sheep do that too? I put what I call "bump boards" around the inside of the shelter. They are horizontal 2x6's fastened to the corner posts about shoulder height. I have found that the critters generally do not knock into one another outside of the shelter. All of the action occurs while inside.
Your open side should be to the south and leave a good overhang to reduce the amount of rain coming into the shelter. On your north wall leave a 12' opening just under the roof line for cross ventilation then put in a shutter for when it is cold. I have built about six and this seems to be the best design.

/ Sheep Shelter #3  
I built almost exactly what you described for my goats last year. It works great. I have to build another one now and something a little better for them to have their kids in this winter. My neighbors buck got on to my females in September and they are all pregnant now. February babies around here don't do too good usually with the wind and cold.