What to treat proch floor with.

/ What to treat proch floor with. #12  
I brought into all those adds for thompson water sealers and found that it was a yearly thing. Switched to a semi-transparent stain. Don't like paint or solid color stain because of their tendency to peel :eek: And I would be careful with the underside not being sealed in using the poly. -Ed

/ What to treat proch floor with. #13  
I'm almost 25 years into my deck built with pressure treated, I've never done anything to it and don't want to. It isn't covered either. Just remember any kind of paint if you do it once you'll have to keep redoing it every so often. Personally the only thing I hate worse than plumbing is painting:rolleyes:

Side note- when I bought my current house 25 years ago the owner was in the middle of redwood staining the existing deck. I commented that I really wished he hadn't done that. He got a little perturbed as he didn't want to do it but the realtor convinced him he should:cool:

/ What to treat proch floor with. #14  
N80 said:
Why and how do you bleach it? Is this for mildew/fungus? If I don't see any mildew do I still need to bleach it?

George, as others have said, bleach is "magic" in its ability to restore PT lumber. Be sure and wear something you don't mind having big bleached blotches on.:rolleyes: I also like to take a soft push broom and rub the bleach solution a little before rinsing with the water. A bleach treatment and pressure wash will make the wood look like it did when it was new. Magic!

I have used stains on my deck, but the sun is brutal. The first stain I put on too thick and it flaked off. The second stain is Thompson's and it seems to be holding up nicely so far. Yes, it's a little slick. The jury is out....

Don't worry about PT wood as long as it is in the air and not in ground contact. It will probably be there when we are all gone. The only thing with a longer half-life is nuclear waste.;)

/ What to treat proch floor with.
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll mull all this over. I think paint is out....like others, I hate painting. I may just leave it alone and keep an eye on it. It looks 'sunbeaten'. There is no soft or rotting wood at all. But, it has totally lost that wet green appearance of typical pt lumber. You can hardly tell it was pt to look at it.

At most I may bleach it and then consider a water seal.

/ What to treat proch floor with. #16  
it has totally lost that wet green appearance of typical pt lumber
good .....it's suppose to turn a nice grey color.....(which is obviously what I like) .... I've used Thompsons .. didn't like that it turned the wood too dark - looked dirty all the time. I've used the cleaners...will try bleach next time.

/ What to treat proch floor with. #17  
We have a log home and have found that a pressure washer works better for us. Just be sure that you use a washer that uses different tips on the wand and you use a fan spread tip. Thompson's will not last and is vastly overrated. We use Flood stain and sealer with good results, the only down side to the Flood product is that it must be brushed on, you cannot use a hand sprayer.

Wood Sealer and Deck Waterproofing for Deck Protection from The Flood Company