Indian Logs- This will make you smile

/ Indian Logs- This will make you smile #1  

rox

Veteran Member
My uncle, God rest hsi soul, lived in rural Wisconsin and once told us a story about visiting some friends of his who were Native American. He tries to walk in the front door which is open with a blanket hanging over the opening, and there is a long tree trunk sticking out the doorway. So he walks in and sees that the other end of the tree trunk is buring in the fireplace. So he says to his riends, "Hey I think your log is to big for the fireplace." His friends respond, "It won't be by the end of the night"

His friends didn't have a lot of money, and who knows if they even had a chainsaw so they would just drag in tree trunks and large limbs and just gradually feed them into the fire all day long.

Fast forward, we have run out of our bigger olive limbs to burn (we are heating only with wood) and are hitting up the firewood stock that was here when we purchased in 2004. The wood is almond wood. For some strange reason the farm worker for the previous owner cut up line of almond limbs about 20 ft long and 6ft high of firewood, that he had cut only into 1 meter lengths. Now this is the most stupid length imaginable and the only conclusion we can come to is that he was jsut to lazy to cut it to firewood length. From the outside of the pile you really didn't notice that the logs were that long since the backside butts up to a stone wall.

Since my husband cut his hand up with the chainsaw he seems to prefer hand sawing with the Silky saw instead of the chainsaw. So I help him out bringing over some of these old almond limbs for burning in the fireplace. He cuts one with the Silky saw and darn that wodd is sure hard. So we are burning those 1 mter logs "indian style" they hang out our fireplace about 6" to 10" and since ti is just my husband and myself in our home, it is not like anybody is going to trip over them. I honestly couldn't jsutify cutting that hard old wood when actually "indian style" works pretty good. :D
See i told you this would put a smile on your face. Oh yeas the almond wood burns really well. It burns hot but lasts a long time.

/ Indian Logs- This will make you smile #2  
Thanks for posting this. It's a great story and it has some special wisdom in it.

Cliff

/ Indian Logs- This will make you smile #3  
Hi Rox
From my scouting days I recall that some tribes ran their fires this way...'logs' pointed into the fire, feed in as they burned up. Guess they felt the need to expend their energies in more productive ways. :)

When I was in RO they also cut firewood this way. I think its quicker to handle and the assumption was the buyer would supply the necessary labor to cut it to spec. Also even here in the states (NH at least) a lot of firewood gets cut into 4' lengths and further reduced when an order comes in.

I like wood heat...very warm and pleasant + the smoke smell is nice. Only down side is the fly ash. :)

/ Indian Logs- This will make you smile #4  
That's the way my step daughter's great grandfather always did it. He was a character. He lived in a log cabin he built himself and the log would stick half way into the room from the fireplace. He was a Texas ranger, rancher, railroad worker, about whatever happened his way. In his later years, he married a mail order bride, built a 2 story house for her and her kids - next to the cabin - he still lived in the cabin. He was well into his nineties when he died (out lived both his wives)

/ Indian Logs- This will make you smile #5  
I've used that method for campfires outdoors, but would never have had the courage to do it inside the house.

/ Indian Logs- This will make you smile
Bird,
I wouldn't have the courage to have a tree trunk out my front door either. We have now burned the almond wood all day today "indian style" and it has turned out really well. Our limbs only hang over a little bit, our fireplace is round, and located in the center of the room with the hearth about 18" up from the floor. I can't justify the effort to hand saw this hard wood. Not that we would ever cut them to this length, as when the wood is green it is so easy to cut. My hubby cuts everything we have pruned to fireplace size. But since this wood was already on site well we are just burning it indian style.

i thought it was intersting that jimg confirms this method of burning is not an anomoly in the native American culture.

mikim, that old guy seems like he used logic and came up with the least amount of work for the maximum amount of heat! he sounds like a charachter. Not surprised the women folk didn't go for that idea though, and lived next door :) I don' mind 6" to 10" hanging over, but the trunk in the middle of the room I would have a hard time with.

/ Indian Logs- This will make you smile #7  
Great story Rox.
Yes, it did put a smile on my face.
I do just like Bird with my camp fire pit, which is about 4' in diameter. I purposely cut the logs in 4' lengths so I can burn them in the middle, then manipulate them into the middle of the fire pit. It gives me something to piddle with when watching the fire.:)
I'll have to get used to cutting them to the appropriate length for the wood burning stove we bought for our log home.

/ Indian Logs- This will make you smile #8  
I was always told that the reason the logs were burned long was that if you had to break down camp fast and put out your fire, you could just grab each log and pull the fire apart.... easier to put out four small logs individually than one large inferno.;)

/ Indian Logs- This will make you smile #9  
Cool story. I never heard of burning a log from one end, and never imagined that anybody would burn a log this way in their home. It's sure allot easier way to keep a fire going!!!

I've always been a big fan of putting the log in the fire from the middle and then have the fire burn through it. Of course, this is always done outdoors with lots of room all around the fire.

I'm wondering if I've been doing it wrong. My way, I have to burn throught the bark and layers of the log from the strongest side. Your way, it would burn the log from the end grain, and probably allot better!!!

Eddie

/ Indian Logs- This will make you smile #10  
Eddie,
I don't think there's a "wrong" way to have a fire...if the fire's burning and you are warm...mission accomplished:D

Podunk

EddieWalker said:
Cool story. I never heard of burning a log from one end, and never imagined that anybody would burn a log this way in their home. It's sure allot easier way to keep a fire going!!!

I've always been a big fan of putting the log in the fire from the middle and then have the fire burn through it. Of course, this is always done outdoors with lots of room all around the fire.

I'm wondering if I've been doing it wrong. My way, I have to burn throught the bark and layers of the log from the strongest side. Your way, it would burn the log from the end grain, and probably allot better!!!

Eddie