Sewage Pump

/ Sewage Pump #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
I need some help understanding the electicals on a sewage pump. I happened upon a used one from a friend and it should work as a replacement for my sump pump in the basement for the bathroom that I have added.

He had used this pump for an outdoor water garden and didn't use the switch. I confirmed that the pump works when plugged in directly. The switch is a seperate 110V line with a male/female plug. The pump plugs into this plug.

The switch itself is a black plastic, round can with holes on the bottom. It is fixed to the side of the pump by a bracket. There appears to be a diaphragm inside the can which does operate the pump when I push it by hand. I can also hear and feel a click.

My current pump has an enclosed float switch that likely has a mercury switch inside as the pump is triggered when the float rises and changes angle.

I assume the water pressure will push the diaphragm on the new pump but how much water? I have it in a wash tub but it's not deep enough. Is this entire pump really submersible? I'm concerned about the electrical feeds going into the pump and switch. Do I just need more water depth to trigger?

Any help appreciated!

/ Sewage Pump
Got it figured out. It's called a diaphragm switch and it works just fine. I didn't have it in deep enough water. Apparently, no issue with fully submerging the pump. Good info here . I'm working on the hookup now, got a bit of a shower taking the old pump out so I'm drying off!

/ Sewage Pump #3  
one thing that I would worry about is that most of these pumps are not designed to be used a a fountain pump which he used it as so it ran for how many hrs? if it is free/really cheap then no biggie but if you are buying at a good price then maybe think now many hrs have this pump run and how many are they rated to run???

mark

/ Sewage Pump #4  
After install I would definitely test it- ya don't want to go downstairs and find a lake Also maybe you should refer to it as a sump pump. Actually sewer pumps have stainless steel impellers to grind the sewage up and run into the thousands. Last one I bought was $1700.:eek: -Ed

/ Sewage Pump
I had thought of that Mark but he said they didn't use it long as it didn't have the flow they wanted. I ran it before the install and it seemed fine. And yes, the price was exactly right... free!