Lot of rain, weird weather

/ Lot of rain, weird weather #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Well, in the past few weeks we've had 14" of snow followed by temps in the 60's. Then it rained almost 5". Needless to say, the ground is saturated and the rivers are high. With that said, I have had some interesting above ground swimming pool problems...

The winter cover is waterproof. So, 14" of snow + 5" of rain = 6" of standing water on my pool cover. The weight of the 6" of water pushed down on the water under the cover, forcing it over the overflow and out of the pool. That made the winter cover too tight and about to tear, so I had to pump the water off the cover. When the water came off the cover, the level under the cover dropped 6", so there I am, on the 11th and 12th of January adding 6" of water to my swimming pool that I will not use until June. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

/ Lot of rain, weird weather #2  
Down here in this part of the country our winters aren't as severe so we never had a cover for the pool during the years we had one. But I'll agree about the "weird" weather. After two or three years of serious drought, last spring we had floods, so for the year of 2007, we were well above average on the amount of rainfall, but the latter part of the year was pretty dry. I had about 1.45" in November, 1.85" in December, and none this month, so we're under a burn ban, grass fire hazard, etc.

But there's a slight (probably very slight) chance forecast for Wednesday night of a "wintery mix"; i.e., rain, sleet, or snow.

/ Lot of rain, weird weather #3  
We had 6' of snow in December. A big melt at Christmas and then a bigger melt in January. Ice is gone off the lake. Pool is full again. I think we are ready to get back to winter now.
Not the kind of winter I like but at the end of it all I'm sure it will average out.

/ Lot of rain, weird weather #4  
The trees just recently finally lost the last of their leaves. Almost all the leaves had fallen from our 5 Bradford Pear trees when I cleaned up the leaves 2 weeks ago today. And now all those trees have budded out real well with so much warm weather, and the forecast is for 27 tonight and 23 tomrrow night.:confused: If they were real fruit trees I'd sure be worried about them.

/ Lot of rain, weird weather #5  
Bird said:
The trees just recently finally lost the last of their leaves. Almost all the leaves had fallen from our 5 Bradford Pear trees when I cleaned up the leaves 2 weeks ago today. And now all those trees have budded out real well with so much warm weather, and the forecast is for 27 tonight and 23 tomrrow night.:confused: If they were real fruit trees I'd sure be worried about them.

I am soooo jealous. Going to 14 to 15 below tonite and 35 below wind chills. Oh well, feed the cattle hay in the heated cab in shorts and shirt sleeves. Even the dog prefers a heated cab in the winter!

/ Lot of rain, weird weather #6  
4720 OWNER said:
I am soooo jealous. Going to 14 to 15 below tonite and 35 below wind chills. Oh well, feed the cattle hay in the heated cab in shorts and shirt sleeves. Even the dog prefers a heated cab in the winter!

I'm happy to say our weather can't compete with that, but with a high of 37 yesterday and a low of 19 this morning, it's plumb chilly for us southerners.:D Of course, we've been having warm weather and a next door neighbor had an old college buddy come down from Minneapolis, MN, yesterday to visit a few days. He thought he'd get in a few rounds of golf down here in the south.:D

/ Lot of rain, weird weather #7  
Seems like since Chernobyl blew, Mt Pinitabue(sp?), Mt St Helens and a few other major events, that weather all over has been kinda funny. Between a few man made issues, and some natural ones, things have been different over the last 25 years or so.

I usually would not subscribe to such theories, or get in to global warming discussions etc. But it does seem we are in some type of longer term weather pattern.